Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guys at work talked about using the new tire foam when you get a flat. Inject into tire nipple. Good reasons. Get rid of spare tire and put stuff like amps and tools in the bin. If you got 4wd and new oversize tires the spare won't work without wrecking your couplings. Thoughts?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Being an audio junkie, I've had my share of temptations to do this. I personally decided against it for a few reasons.

1. Tire foam only really helps with small slow leaks. The majority of tire problems I've had have been large, quick leaks.

2. I do a lot of long distance driving for my job. Having that spare is just another small insurance policy that I'll get where I need to be on time.

3. I drive through NYC alot. I don't know if you've ever seen the face of a stranded motorist on the Triboro bridge after people have been giving them the finger and honking and cursing at him for hours while they wait for AAA in rush hour traffic, but I can assure you, it's not a pretty sight. :wink:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Last time I waited for roadside assistance it took about an hour and a half wait before they arrived. The tire foam is for a temporary fix, and may do the job sometimes, make sure you have it repaired right away as that stuff in your tire can throw off your tire balance, and it may not hold for long.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe someone should do some leg work and see if there is any aftermarket sparetire cariers like whats on the back of the Passport that will fit somehow on these cars, then you can get a fullsize spare (I dont have my car yet so I dont know if its a donut or inflatable spare in the car) and mount it on the back with a nice tire cover, or perhaps for those that like the jungle look, get a rooftop sparetire carrier.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
There is an aftermarket full size tire carrier. It mounts on a 2" hitch. I forget where I saw it but if you search the web for "hitch accessories" you should find one.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
if you get a yakima roof rack, there's a spare tired carrier for it too... almost landrover-esque 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, my ultimate master plan is to put a 4inch lift on the E, put large tires, a roofbasket (tubular metal design) and put the spare tire up top. Then the interiors gonna be done in leather, where the old sparetire was will be a place for 2 or so thumping woofers and hide all the stereo mechanics in the sparetire compartment.

Yup, I know I'll get sucky mileage, but it should look really rugged.

·
Registered
914 Posts
another good reason to keep the spare is that sometimes its not the tube that gets a hole, but the tire itself is torn to shreds. In that case, the tire foam is only good for playing with while a tow truck comes.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:d648b9c65b="Hawaiian E"]its not the tube that gets a hole[/quote:d648b9c65b]

None of today's tires have tubes anymore. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
From what I've heard, your mechanic will HATE you if you use tire goo.

You will have the tire changed, because you'll go crazy putting up with an unbalanced tire after using the tire foam.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That stuff can mess up your rims. It should only be used on a temporary basis and needs to be cleaned off as soon as possible.

I think that nothing will ever replace a spare tire. Can't use the other stuff if you get a blowout or a slashed sidewall.

As for tubes in tires. I believe we are way past the 70's. Tubes are used for going down the river or a snowy hill. :lol:

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts