Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be installing 17" 04-06 MDX rims and am going to go with a CRV size (225/65R17) tire.

researching them on tire rack the 3 highest rated tires under $120 are between these.

1. Yokohama
Parada Spec-X $109

2. Yokohama
Geolandar A/T-S $118

3. Kumho
Road Venture APT KL51 $119

opinions?

Its gonna be mostly road/hwy use so low noise and MPG are important.
the sportier handling the better (anything will be better than the mismatched OEM goodyear/michilen XCX set bought the car with.)

I am in michigan so snow is a factor, but I am toying with the idea of putting snows on the stock wheels. I have done this with my accord and civic in the past but obviously those weren't 4wd either, maybe thats overkill on the E.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've gone with the Yoko HT/S's on my E twice now and have been really happy. I like Kumho's for my GTI with low profile they have great wet handling. Believe it or not I just got my last set of Yoko's for $397 installed. Who knew that these tire places will actually barter with ya?!?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
went with the kumhos

·
Registered
62 Posts
My Used E came with the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on it, the paper work shows about 5K on them.
They seem nice and I like the duel tread design. (like the AVID)
Had the Yokohama AVID on my 2000 CRV and they were excellent.
I know tires can be a tough choice.
I'm pretty sold on Yokohama and Honda and hope the Geolandar works as well as the AVID.
Both work very well in the wet.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I like my Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. Replaced the OEM Wranglers and it felt like I was driving a new vehicle!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't recommend the Yoko Geolands. Had more flats with that set on my '03 EX MTthan any set of tires in my life. (four in the span of three years) Picked up via Tire Rack too.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Can't recommend the Yoko Geolands. Had more flats with that set on my '03 EX MTthan any set of tires in my life. (four in the span of three years) Picked up via Tire Rack too.
So what was the causes? Nails, bad installation, etc? Such a generalized post for a above average rated tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Didn't realize I was required to cite tire history here.

I ultimately purchased five tires. One of the four flat instances was road damage, (glass) and sidewall damaged forced replacement of the tire.

The three other instances were slow leaks and the inability to hold to hold pressure, compounded with dry tire rot that developed in the second year of ownership. (cracks at the rim of the tire.) Installed properly, inflated with N2 and rotated every 8,000 miles. One or two flats in the life of a tire set is typical. But four flats in three years with only 35K mi?? And I didn't replace the set until the rot showed up in the treads.

Does it mean that all Yoko tires are bad? No. It means I won't go with them again, and I won't recommend them. acb asked opinion, I gave it.

And my experience isn't entirely unique.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Didn't realize I was required to cite tire history here.

I ultimately purchased five tires. One of the four flat instances was road damage, (glass) and sidewall damaged forced replacement of the tire.

The three other instances were slow leaks and the inability to hold to hold pressure, compounded with dry tire rot that developed in the second year of ownership. (cracks at the rim of the tire.) Installed properly, inflated with N2 and rotated every 8,000 miles. One or two flats in the life of a tire set is typical. But four flats in three years with only 35K mi?? And I didn't replace the set until the rot showed up in the treads.

Does it mean that all Yoko tires are bad? No. It means I won't go with them again, and I won't recommend them. acb asked opinion, I gave it.

And my experience isn't entirely unique.
Hey look calculon, if I wanted any of your sarcastic lip I'll take it off my zipper! I was asking a legit question. I'm sure I wasn't the only person wondering how 4 tires go bad in 3 years.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also had the Yoko geolanders on my previous vehicle which was a rav4 they definitely had great traction. never hydroplaned when it rained. however the road noise was very loud. Wife kept commenting that she could hardly wait for them to wear out so we could get another tire put on. If we had a different vehicle they probably would have been close to the perfect tire.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I noticed that you are listing the Geolandar A/T's....

I went with the H/T because of the less aggressive tread design. The Element is already loud enough without a lot of tire sing!!

But, that being said, I love the H/T's and would buy them again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I picked up the H-T/S for my 08 EX 4WD MT and the shop that put them on didn't balance the driver side rear at first and it shook like hell.

Took it back in, they apologized and balanced them again, its improved, but anything over 100km/h there is pretty bad shake that i can feel and see in the steering wheel and feel right through my seat.

Took it back in again and they said they rebalanced everything and its all spot on. They told me it was due to the tread, but clearly its not.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking to bring it to another branch of the same retailer (active green and ross) and have them rebalance them.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I just got the Yoko Geolanders H/TS's aswell and I love them! Had some Firestone Winterforces on for two years and I was sick of the noise constantley! Slapped the Yokos on and it's like a brand new car! I can hear my radio now!:lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also had the Yoko geolanders on my previous vehicle which was a rav4 they definitely had great traction. never hydroplaned when it rained. however the road noise was very loud. Wife kept commenting that she could hardly wait for them to wear out so we could get another tire put on. If we had a different vehicle they probably would have been close to the perfect tire.

+1...I have the Geolandar A/Ts on my Element and the wife's CR-V. Very long life (the CR-V is up to about 70k and still looks to have around 10k left in 'em) and extremely stable. Best rain tire I have EVER used. But they started singing before the first rotations and have been getting progressively louder with wear.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
While the Element is thought of as an "SUV", that label is misleading if you are driving it as a normal passenger car.

Tire ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt - they aren't necessarily based on your driving conditions or your environment. If your application is primarily on highways, I suggest you look at the AVID TRZ, which is all season highway optimized. I've had a set for a year, and like them a lot. They started out quieter than the OEM tires, and have gotten progressively quieter over the past 10K miles. They are available in 225/60-17, which should work with your wheels.

AWD or not, with the heavy snowfalls you get on the east side of Lake Michigan, winter snow tires wouldn't be a bad idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts