Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum and have some tire questions. I have 32k on my '07 EX 4WD and am looking at replacing the stock tires (which I absolutely hate). Found this forum while trying to get some info on good aftermarket tires.

I'm running stock 16" rims and have had excellent luck with Michelin in the past, so I'm looking at the LTX M/S tire to put on. Problem is the price, and here's my first question.

the 215/70R16 costs about $170 at Costco or Sam's Club, but the 225/70R16 costs $100 at Sam's Club..... :confused: Why would the price be so different for an extra 10mm of tread width and an extra 7mm of sidewall? I'd rather put on the true stock size, but I'm not in the mood to pay such a premium just for a slightly different tire size.

Second question, I see that several people are running 225 width tires on their otherwise stock E's without an issue. Because of the price difference, I'm considering going with the 225/70R16s if my dealership (extended warranty) OKs it. I'm a very heavy highway driver and get 25-26MPG with my stock tires. Any good/bad difference in fuel economy with the LTX tires, especially with the 225 width? I'm hoping for better economy on a harder compound.

Thanks in advance for your answers on this.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The cost is prolly less due to popularity/volume. The 225 size is more common.

They (either size) will prolly not get better fuel economy that the stock tires.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Just looked online at Sams. LTX MS in 215 $169, 225 $155. Relative popularity can account for that price difference. I don't think that differential is enough of a reason to change size Wanting a particular model that only comes in the 225 size is enough reason (or at least it was when I bought my tires :) )

Some have reported that Costco refused to install anything but stock size.

In terms of gas mileage I don't think anyone has reported a consistent improvement with a tire change, whether it involves a change in brand and/or size. In theory narrower, longer wearing tires are better. There's has been talk of adding a gas mileage rating to tires, but I haven't seen any such information yet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The tires you're looking at weigh 5lbs. more per tire than the stock tires. You're adding 20lbs of rotating mass. I definitely would not be expecting any more than a slight decline in your mpg, at best.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
. . . Why would the price be so different for an extra 10mm of tread width and an extra 7mm of sidewall? I'd rather put on the true stock size, but I'm not in the mood to pay such a premium just for a slightly different tire size.
I was calling around this afternoon pricing replacement tires and was checking out 225/70-16s (as recommended by Apriliaguy and others- thanks!).

While 2 places gave me the standard it could affect your speedometer, transmission, blah, blah, blah I was also told by a few that the difference in price was because 215s are not a common size for many vehicles so they don't produce as many. Result is higher prices!

Regardless, no place had any problem changing sizes- even BJs, which I previously read would only do oem recommended sizes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice and input, I'll see what my dealership says and then go with whatever doesn't affect my warranty.

If those 215s are less common and it's causing the price to be higher, I think we need more E's on the road :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts