Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been lots of info in this forum on changing tire size, but can the people that have tell me what the max size you can put on the original steel wheels (DX) and how much has it changed the speedo. I am thinking of installing 235/60r 16 tires. According to Tire Rack these tires are a about 1" less in diameter than the original Goodyear 215/70 16 tires.

·
Registered
93 Posts
255/60's would get you closer to the original size (3mm larger)...
What would your goal be? Smaller diameter to lower the vehicle or larger diameter to raise the vehicle or wider tire for a bigger contact patch? :?:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ramy:
The goal is to get rid of the original suv tires and put passenger tires on for longer wear and better highway traction. I put 60000 miles per year and the original tires with 20000 on them are 3/4 worn out. 255 tires are to wide. How much does 1+ inch less in diameter affect the speedo?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you go with 235/60/16 it will get you close to the original size (about 3/4 of an inch shorter in the total height) and give you a lot of passenger car tire options.
It would put your speedo showing about 3% faster than what you are really doing. You could always have the dealer reprogram your tire size so your speedo shows exactly...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Go here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to figure your tire sizes precisely. A slightly shorter tire means slightly more RPM on the highway, which might ( m i g h t ) mean less fuel economy. Just depends. I put the 235/70-16 Goodyear Fortreras on my E, makes it 4% off per the calculator. I read 60, am going 62.4 actual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts