Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have been reading a lot of threads on tire size and the more i read, the more questions and confusion come up. I am looking at some falken high country tires. Either 225/70/16 or 225/75/16. From what i understand the 225/70s have no problem, and the 225/75 are taller and are not as wide. What are the pros and cons of the 2 sizes? Has anyone had any problems with either? Thanks.

·
1,049 Posts

You are half right...

225/75 and 225/70 are the same width.

The 225 is the width in millimeters.

The 70/75 is the aspect ratio of the sidewall height to the width.

So, the 75 series are a taller tire and pretty much the tallest tire you can fit on a stock element.

I think that the element should have come with the 225/75/16 as they fill up the wheel well better and imho look better.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion for you.

P.S. Here is a picture of my wife's element with BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KOs 225/75/16s.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
And here is a picture with 225/70/16's (with the BFG A/T's)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Both sizes have the same 'section width', that is the maximum width (more or less, rounded to nearest 5mm). The 75% profile tires are a bit 'taller'. That is, the distance from rim to tread is 75% of 225mm v. 70%.

When talk about the 225/75/16 not being as wide, it is usually in comparison to 235/70/16 tires. The 75s are both a bit narrower in section width, but also narrower in tread. Specifically the 75s taper a bit more.

Some (not all) tire 'spec' tables list a tread width.

E owners have been concerned with tread width because one potential rubbing point is the curved top of the strut tower. A square shoulder tire is more likely to rub in this area, and a wider tread tire more so than a narrower one. When you are trying to maximize tire size, those details matter. Knobby tires (e.g. all-terrains like BFG TA KOs) are more likely to have square shoulders. Some even have 'tread blocks' on the sidewall, to protect against rocks, and possibly add traction in deep mud.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Has anyone ever checked to see if the 09-10 models can fit the same size tires as the 03-08? The wheel wells are a different shape and I'm concerned about going to beefier tires without feedback first... Thanks!!

·
12,179 Posts
Has anyone ever checked to see if the 09-10 models can fit the same size tires as the 03-08? The wheel wells are a different shape and I'm concerned about going to beefier tires without feedback first... Thanks!!

The only thing that changed is the outer wheel well and that is mostly cosmetic changes. The inner structure is still the same as the older models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts