Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My issue while taking off with slightest throttle the front tires spin, very bad while its wet out. This has changed over time as it getting worse. I have the best Michelins on it and kept them rotated. And also while turning on to a street where the elevation changes and the vehicles rocks a little the tires lose traction. Could it be something in the differential? It also make a noise while turning and pulling onto a street from a gutter.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
So many possible things here...
On the Michelins: What kind of "best" Michelins? It's been a while since I used that brand but when i did, they weren't known for being extra "grippy" tires. Elements from 2008 and up are perfectly capable of spinning the front wheels if you gun it. Don't hammer the gas pedal.
On the differential: When was the last time you changed the differential fluid? It should be changed AT LEAST every 30K miles. Or you could have a brake problem or wheel bearings or...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My 2wd when new would roast the front tires if the traction is turned off. The stock Wranglers were scary in the rain, I removed them and installed Michelin Latitudes 225 70 16. Wet and dry traction much better, but can still spin if I stomp on it. Been like this since new.
How old are your tires? Don't go by the time you bought them, look at the date code. Rubber gets harder as it ages, 5 yrs they are pretty much toast. Manufactures recommend 6 yrs max.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My issue while taking off with slightest throttle the front tires spin, very bad while its wet out. This has changed over time as it getting worse. I have the best Michelins on it and kept them rotated. And also while turning on to a street where the elevation changes and the vehicles rocks a little the tires lose traction. Could it be something in the differential? It also make a noise while turning and pulling onto a street from a gutter.
I have a 2010 also and it will spin the front tires on it. Every set of tires I have had on it did it. my thinking is lift the rear up about a inch, this will put some weight on the front tires. The noise problem I don't know about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 04 Element with fwd, and the wheels spun on that one too, after totallying it, I purchased an ex withAWD, and I have loved it the most. Now at 192,000 miles, I can see driving it to Antique status. I would love to haveone of the SC versions, however they didn’t make those in AWD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem here with my 2010 Element. Original Owner and I replaced the original manufactured tires with Continental tires. Had them for 85K and then switched to the Michelin. Not impressed with the dough boy tires.
I think it is just the way things are.
Slightest bit of rain on the road (and I am not an accelerator to say the least) and there is no traction.
Disappointed with this but I still love my box/Element.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts