Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My '04 "E" is still wearing its original Goodyear Wrangler HPs with around 17,000 miles. I rotate them whenever the wear is measurably more on the fronts than backs and run 36 PSI all around. (2) tires measure right at 6/32nds, in tire speak, and (2) at and just under 5/32nds. The reason I'm writing, all (4) are worn absolutely smooth an inch in from both edges.

I am thinking about replacing them, but wonder why they are wearing the way they are. To me, wear on the outside usually means under inflation, but that isn't the case. I'm an old man, but still like to take corners fast and thought that might be a contributor, but am puzzled by the perfectly even wear inside and out. I've run at the drag strip 3 or 4 times and, w/ a 5 speed, it spins a fair amount, but doubt this has anything to do with the edges wear. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, when the time comes, I'm thinking about trying Yokohama Avid Touring S tires. Any commments from those of you familiar with these would be appreciated also.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Some pix would really help.
Sounds like a camber or maybe a toe issue.
When was the last time you had an alignment?
17K miles on an 04?? WOW, you need to get out
and drive that baby more!!! :grin:

·
12,177 Posts
My '04 "E" is still wearing its original Goodyear Wrangler HPs with around 17,000 miles. I rotate them whenever the wear is measurably more on the fronts than backs and run 36 PSI all around. (2) tires measure right at 6/32nds, in tire speak, and (2) at and just under 5/32nds. The reason I'm writing, all (4) are worn absolutely smooth an inch in from both edges.

I am thinking about replacing them, but wonder why they are wearing the way they are. To me, wear on the outside usually means under inflation, but that isn't the case. I'm an old man, but still like to take corners fast and thought that might be a contributor, but am puzzled by the perfectly even wear inside and out. I've run at the drag strip 3 or 4 times and, w/ a 5 speed, it spins a fair amount, but doubt this has anything to do with the edges wear. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, when the time comes, I'm thinking about trying Yokohama Avid Touring S tires. Any commments from those of you familiar with these would be appreciated also.
If you talk to the 25,000 plus members here that have E's with the Wranglers on them most will likely say the same thing....The edges has worn down too quicky. Plain and simple it is a SH*T tire. They are not too bad for the first 9-12 months but after that they are pretty much crap in my opinion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Funny I have the Bridgestone Duellers on my 05 and they all have the same wear pattern you have. I'm not happy and am just about to replace all 4 ( with only 35k miles on em) I think the E is a bit porky and the suspension was never designed right from the get go, poop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
when was the last time you got an alignment?

the looks like toe wear to me, but usually toe wear occurs on the inside due to negative camber. has your element ever been in an accident?

·
Registered
143 Posts
when was the last time you got an alignment?

the looks like toe wear to me, but usually toe wear occurs on the inside due to negative camber. has your element ever been in an accident?
huh?

Toe and camber are different thigns entirely. Camber is angle of the tire if you are looking at it from the back of the car. Toe is the angle of the tire if you are looking at it from above the car. You can definitely have toe wear the outside of the tire if you have toe in.

Toe-in=pigeon towed
Toe-out=bow legged

Camber in and of itself won't generally wear a tire too bad unless its extreme (2 degrees or more). Lowering a car usually causes tire wear on the inside edge b/c it tends to toe the car out in addition to adding negative camber.

To the OP, what exactly is wrong with the tire in that picture? Looks fine to me.Its not worn smooth, you've still got the grooves that extend to the outside. Some of those sipes might not go all the way through the tread, maybe thats what you're seeing. . .

·
Registered
223 Posts

My tires have the same wear pattern, first noticed at 5600 miles. Had front and rear alignment checked (All within specs). Tire pressure set from 38 psi to 40 psi front and rear seems to be the magic numbers to extend the wear life of the tread on OEM Wranglers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tire pressure set from 38 psi to 40 psi front and rear seems to be the magic numbers to extend the wear life of the tread on OEM Wranglers.
Bingo!!!

Forget the psi suggestions on the door sticker. Running not only the OEM's, but other tires up in the 37-40 psi range will limit that outer edge wear. If the tire is above that or too high in psi, then you'll notice center tread wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts