Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am moving from Florida to Salt Lake City and needless to say, it snows in utah. Obviously I will have to purchase new tires when I move. As you all know there are low profile tires on the rims of the SC.

I have 2 questions:

1) will regular tires fit on the current rims? if so, what size tires should i buy?
2) what type/brand of tires should I buy? Some say I don't need snow tires, rather all terrain tires. What do you think?

I need your advice.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Hi!

Welcome aboard.

I really like the look of the SC rims - I would recommend you get some steel 16" rims for your winter, or AT, tires and keep your SC rims nice for summer use. Not only will you keep your rims corrosion free, it will cost you less in the long run (its not cheap having tires mounted on rims twice a year).

For tires? I use snows in the winter but I spend a lot of time in the mountains. Take a look at the tires and wheels section for LOTS of opinions on tire choice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice...

Do you have any idea how much I should save for the 16inch wheels and tires? How much do you think all of this will cost me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
16" wheels and tires are cheap and easy to come by. You shouldn't have to pay more than $50 each for steel wheels. Check out your local Honda dealer, Costco etc for steel wheels. I got steel wheels from my dealer (from a Honda Pilot) for about $35 ea.

Tires? Depends on what you want but the 16 inchers are much cheaper than the larger sizes.

Tire companies will charge you everytime they swap tires on and off rims. Its also hard on the tires (and rims as they will have to put new balance weights on each time and the process will sometimes scuff your rims).

The initial price for tires will include installation and, around here, they will do the summer/winter swap for free (for the life of the tire).

[edit] One issue that you will have to deal with on your 08 is the TPMS problem if you change wheels - too bad, its a bit of a pain and I'm not sure there is a cost effective solution yet. Take a look at the wheel and tire section to see if there is any new info on this.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I got some Michelin Hydroedges mounted today, so far so good!

Your runs 225/55-18s stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts