Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have read over 20 threads here on EOC about tires for the E, but I still have some questions and would appreciate your input.

My Michelin LTX are down to 2/32" and it's time for a new set.

I liked the Michelins a lot for day to day use, but they are currently very expensive, even at Costco. I also slid a couple of times over snow.

So, most of my drive is dry highway, about 60 miles commute. But during the winter I go up to Mammoth for about 5 weekends, but I do like to go when it's snowing.

So I want a set of tires that will handle very well on the road on dry and wet conditions, but also give me confidence when driving on snow.

I am not sure if I should stick to a all-season/highway tire like the LTX, Geolandar HT-s, Toyo Open Country H/T
or move up to a all season/all terrain like the Geolandar AT-s, Toyo Opencountry A/T or the BFG all terrain T/A KO.

What do you guys think? And of the models above, what do you think will serve me well?

Thanks so much for the feedback

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
one friend has the geo ATs on her E and it does fine in snow as well as around LBC. I think they ran around $450.

but I highly recommend going whole hog, and getting the Nokian WRs. Best $600 I spent on the E (twice)! the best on rain/snow, and still very quiet and grippy on dry with good miliage.

unfortunately, you have to mail order them or drive up near Sacto to get them. I get mine when I go to oregon to visit family.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nokian WRs
Yes, those are very hard to find around here.
So did you spend $600 just on the tires, and then paid someone to install, balance, etc...?

The advantage of buying in a shop locally is to get all the rotation services free.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I just got the yoko geo HTS a few months ago and am now a huge fan. No drop in mileage from the OEMs, no increased road noise, and they handled great in the one and only rain we've had since then. I want to try them out in snow, but havent had a chance. :-( But for the 95% of daily driving, at $535 from discount tire (go to their website but dont put in your zip code, the national discount tire has much lower prices than the discount tire locations in socal), they are a great tire. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in L.A. and just got new shoes for my 07 LX FWD. I went with the Kumho Solus KR21 after reading about them on this group. Got them at Discount Tire for $80 a piece plus I think $15 for mounting and balancing and they gave me their lifetime replacement warranty for $2 a tire. Quite a deal I think.

I Immediately left on a 3500 mile trip to Big Bend Texas, Dallas, Amarillo, Flagstaff and Sedona. The tires were a nice improvement on the OEM tires. They were quiet and did very well in snowy Flagstaff which was having a pretty good storm as I drove into town.

I'm extremely happy with the tires and even more pleased with Discount Tire.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Get a real good touring tire, I got Michelin Hydroedges on all my Hondas. This will do you alright for the 16,000+ miles a year on dry pavements, plus they will last for 90,000 miles.
Since the season for snow sports is as good as over now, keep your eyes peeled for a set of steel wheels. You can get them for next to nothing. I had them offered to me free, just haul away. Then put a good set of snow shoes ' on them. Swap wheel sets as the occasion dictates. NO compromises!!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all suggestions.
I just orders the set of Nokians WRG2 from tiresbyweb.com with a $40 discount and free shipping!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I liked the Michelins a lot for day to day use, but they are currently very expensive, even at Costco.
If you generally like the LTXs you prolly don't need to go to an AT type tire.

I like my General Grabber HTS tires that I've had for more than a year and about 30k miles. They've been surprisingly good in the snow for me too. They seem to run about $100 each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts