Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it is the crap gas in Michigan or a combiantion between colder weather and gas but I have dropped down to 20-21 mpg. Mix of city 30% and hwy 70%. And FTR, I don't let the RPM's get above 3000.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I don't know if it is the crap gas in Michigan or a combiantion between colder weather and gas but I have dropped down to 20-21 mpg. Mix of city 30% and hwy 70%. And FTR, I don't let the RPM's get above 3000.
My mileage has dropped quite noticeably as well. I wonder what's up? Unfortunately, the pumps don't have to tell if they're 100 percent gas or 90/10 gas/ethanol...

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Some from the gasoline, but mostly the colder weather. Increase in air density further kills the aerodynamics, and the combustion efficiency drops, too. Also, engine takes longer to warm up, so the ECU spends more time in open-loop mode, which is a gas-guzzler.

I instantly lose 5 mpg in my Civic Hybrid when the temps drop below 60°, and can see it in the real-time and cumulative MPG meters. It's like somebody throws a switch. :twisted:

·
Registered
178 Posts
My mileage has dropped quite noticeably as well. I wonder what's up? Unfortunately, the pumps don't have to tell if they're 100 percent gas or 90/10 gas/ethanol...
That stinks man, too bad your state doesn't have this as a law such as in SC. I am in NC and too suffer this problem. Juts remember that each brand will have different mixtures so you may want to ask the clerk for the mix the station sells as most will be straight up with you. I have known many who will tell you where they fill-up as it's like insider knowledge to them, lol.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah, I just lost about a mile and a half per gallon on my last tank and had a pretty easy commuting week. Must be the formulation change for the season.:rolleyes: Oh well, what are you going to do about it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I only got 19 mpg on my last tank, all city, very light traffic and I drove very gently. :-(

·
Registered
198 Posts
I talked to a clerk at Safeway and he told me that Safeways doesnt get ethanol. His quote was "ETHANOL! We dont support that $hit! Waste of [email protected] money!"

I havent had a problem with their gas.

Try Safeway for Ethanol free gas (changes store to store?). I have noticed (in my area) that most Ethanol gas mixes have 88 octane vs 87 octane without ethanol.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,530 Posts
Up here they have the "winter fuel", which means leaner (for the environment) and burning quicker. I usually get about 3-4 less MPG for the winter (of course, the studded tires adds to that decrease :sad:).

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
It's simple really. All has to do with air/fuel ratio.

One cubic foot of 30 degree air will pack more oxygen molecules than 1 cubic foot of 80 degree air.

More oxygen in the air means more power, but it also means that you're going to be burning more fuel.

When the O2 sensors in your exhaust pick up that you've got too much oxygen in your exhaust gases, it tells the injectors to add more fuel to richen up your mix a bit.

No real way around that other than preheating your intake air somehow. :confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this will be the second winter season with this car. I purchased it a year ago this month and 24000 miles later! It's bitter sweet. My civic had awesome gas mileage and when the cooler temps hint, I never noticed the drop. Now that I have cut my mpg in half almost, it's easy to notice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've looked for those signs about containing ethonol but haven't seen them in Traverse City either. I guess I will stick to the el'cheapo hole in the wall gas station and save myself alittle since it doesnt make a difference for mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Not to quibble, but since my last mountain bike trip to Moab and using the 85 octane from down there, I have gotten much better milage this Fall. Up from all Summer at 25 mpg, to now 29 mpg over three tanks! weird.

I don't expect this to last, and will undoubtedly see the falling winter milage soon. Fall has been pretty warm here in Utah. Today driving down I-15 it hit 70 degrees around South Salt Lake City. It is November after all.....

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
well considering i was in VA with camping gear and doing 80-85 as I was being pushed////(right) up rt 81 I got 24 mpg
now I have (for the first time ever) winter tires. Never driven with them I got Firestone Blizarks on the steal rims.
cant wait to see how they do in the snow they are kinda noisy but I just turn up the radio LOL

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I should have never said anything.... I jinxed myself. Last fill up 25 mpg. I do have another trip down to Moab planned soon. Have to see if the fuel makes any difference this time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should have never said anything.... I jinxed myself. Last fill up 25 mpg. I do have another trip down to Moab planned soon. Have to see if the fuel makes any difference this time.
I think I calculated 25 mpg once this summer! I'd be happy with that now but I bet it won't ever happen again

Becca

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've looked for those signs about containing ethonol but haven't seen them in Traverse City either. I guess I will stick to the el'cheapo hole in the wall gas station and save myself alittle since it doesnt make a difference for mileage.
You won't see them, either. Michigan law stipulates that pumps only have to state that the fuel they dispense "Meets Michigan Purity and Quality Standards" or something like that.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You won't see them, either. Michigan law stipulates that pumps only have to state that the fuel they dispense "Meets Michigan Purity and Quality Standards" or something like that.
Speaking of things, I've never gotten mileage this bad on my E, at least at temperatures above 0 F. I haven't seen above 23 in the last six weeks. I don't know if I have a brake dragging or what. I do know that I have a ball joint going bad already at 59,000 miles. Whatever the case, if the mileage keeps going like this with the moderate fall weather we've had here, the Element is GONE come spring. I ain't driving a car that only gets 22 mpg.

EDIT: Dammit, I meant to edit, not quote!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a tie rod that is bad, It's scheduled to go in tomorrow. I don't know if that would lead to the poor mpg or what. I am sure the snow/salt mixture doesnt help our cars as far as premature wear goes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in Iowa and I've been consistently getting 25 mpg so I'm happy, but the best part is that its going up. My second to last tank I got 25.5 mpg and this morning I filled up again and did some math and I got 25.75 mpg :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts