Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so the caliper bolts onto the ears and everything no problem. I have seen this done before, on both the Element D and the Circut Worx E.. I have searched for hours and can not find any info on these setups... There has to be a rotor that works, or does there?:confused: Help!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
What size is the Brembo TL rotor?? Is this for the REAR?? If its 11", it will fit on the E. If you go to a brake website, you will see that the TL rotor and E rotor are the same part number. Here are the part numbers from PartsGeek.com. These are OEM part numbers.

Brembo Brake Rotor - Rear
Retail Price: $98.35
Your Price: $39.75
Quantity:
Part Number: W0133-1607971
This Product Fits the Following: Catalog: Replacement
Vehicle

2008 Honda Element

Brembo Brake Rotor - Rear
Your Price: $39.75
Quantity:
Vehicle

2004 Acura TL

These are the part numbers for the PBR rear rotor.

PBR Brake Rotor - Rear
Your Price: $31.75
Quantity:
Vehicle

2008 Honda Element

PBR Brake Rotor - Rear
Your Price: $31.75
Quantity:
Vehicle

2004 Acura TL

I just did some research on Azine, just to make sure. The rear TL brakes are the same on all models. So for pads and rotors, it doesnt matter if you have a TL, TL 6MT, or TL-S from 04. Someone here can correct me if I am wrong, but Im pretty sure I am correct. If you are talking about the fronts, that is a different story. The front Brembo rotors from the 6MT are 12.2" x .98". The front E's are 11.1" x .91". I am guessing you can look for a 11.1" x .98" rotor that fits a honda. Here are the specs in MM in case you find a site that shows metric. The front E's are 282 x 23. The front Acura are 310 x 25. You are looking for a 282 x 25 for a honda. Does this make sense??

Keep us posted on what you are doing!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont think it will be that easy. The hat depth of the rotor I tried yesterday did not work and you were unable to put the rotor and caliper on together... Needs to be deeper... This was a no name part, and have the brembos on order, as the only ones I could find were for the AT model TL with the 3.5v6. The part number was even different... But then again like I said this was a Wiggins rotor, may not be right...

·
Mod-erator
4,576 Posts
Why not go with a different brand that's made for the Element....like Rotora??

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
i know of someone who's installed MDX rotors/calipers on a CR-V. and CR-V's are fairly closely related to E's, so the MDX may be another source of parts that will work on the E.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dance... Price is one large point... got the calipers for less than 500...:cool: I love Ebay!... 2... I like oem style upgrades. 3... looking at the circut works and Element D, they both have this setup.. Very simple(when you figure out the parts needed), cheap and effective, and oem style reliability... Can I continue?:D I know this has been done on lots of civics, etc. as well, and it was lots more work... I HAVE SEEN IT DONE 2 TIMES... THERE HAS TO BE A CUT AND DRY SOLUTION OR DIMENSIONS OF THE ROTORS I NEED TO USE, CUSTOM OR NOT..

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Dance... Price is one large point... got the calipers for less than 500...:cool: I love Ebay!... 2... I like oem style upgrades. 3... looking at the circut works and Element D, they both have this setup.. Very simple(when you figure out the parts needed), cheap and effective, and oem style reliability... Can I continue?:D I know this has been done on lots of civics, etc. as well, and it was lots more work... I HAVE SEEN IT DONE 2 TIMES... THERE HAS TO BE A CUT AND DRY SOLUTION OR DIMENSIONS OF THE ROTORS I NEED TO USE, CUSTOM OR NOT..
OEM brake upgrades are never the best option. They brake master cylinder is not sized correctly for the new vehicle. The piston sizing on the calipers are the wrong sizes. You not only have to find the correct hat for the rotor, but you also have to find the correct offset mounting bracket, they are almost always custom pieces for each vehicle.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand the MC sizing issues and all... the brembo calipers have 2 different sized pistons in the caliper(2 of each), and the smaller of the 2 works more on the lighter braking(very similair in size to the elements piston) and the larger ones don't begin to really work until the brake pedal is totally depressed... And per my first post, the caliper bolts onto the ears now... Yes, a bracket may be necessary to clear the wheels, but that is very do able, as far as this has gone... I have been researching this for quite a while, and just have not been able to find the right information I am looking for... Keep in mind this is going on a heavily modified element that needs to slow down lots faster than stock, with a more solid brake feel..And this is for the fronts.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Since you say the caliper bolts on to the hub assembly, the best bet is to get the TL rotor and just use heavy duty washers to space out the caliper to the desired depth. If the rotor is not deep enough, you could have a machine shop machine a few mm of the face.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a machinist on hand..:D The issue I am running into for the most part is the caliper not clearing the wheels... Now If I mounted it from the back of the ears I believe the bolts and ears on the knuckle interfere with the rotor. Where are the 2 people that have these on their E's? Thats the part that is really getting me... It's been done twice, so there has to be an easy solution to the problem.. Oh yeah, upon further research, the MC on the TL-s and the E are very similair in size and amount of fluid they displace as well. The TL is heavier(not by too much), but I will have more power, so I think this will be a good solution. I also don't want drilled rotors, so that was another reason I didn't go with the rotora kit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if I recall correctly, 2wd Rangers 01-up have similarly sized rotors, and 5x4.5 bolt circle. You could look into that maybe.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
If you are going to run the stock SC wheels, you will need to get some 5mm or so hubcentric spacers. The stock calipers barely clear the wheel now!! All of the guys that bought the Rotora kit for the CL and TL and had the stock rims HAD to put on spacers. As mr2driver said, the offset is horrible. And as far as the Rotora kit is concerned, you can buy it with slotted rotors. You do NOT have to get drilled or drilled and slotted rotors. Just an FYI. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was hoping to clear the stocks, but it will not happen without at least 15mm of spacing. Good thing I have a set of Volk TE37s that should clear with a smaller spacer. THE NEW CALIPER IS GIGANTIC!! I had figured that would be an issue without spacing the caliper back lots, and finding a custom 2 pc. rotor to compensate for the additional backspacing of the caliper. Now to get the CORRECT TL-S rotors and give things another shot.:cool:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok... So heres an update on my OEM BBK. The steering knuckle does not allow for the rotor and the caliper to bolt up together. I am going to try and source some tl-s steering knuckles/hub carriers from a junk yard to see if they will bolt up to the E. If not the ears for the calipers will have to be relocated towards the center of the car like 3/8 of an inch..:mad: It can be done, but the TL-S knuckles are what is used to make this kit work on the accord chassis(maybe a few other parts.. a little more research..). Its for sure worth a try... It has been done, I just have to find out what the parts combo is and if there is any adjustments needed to be done to make it all work. And my mechanic did a little math.. The amount of fluid the 4 pistons in the TL-S Brembo caliper displaces(taking into account all four of the pistons have less travel and less surface area than the one large OEM unit) is only 9% greater than the amount the stock element calipers. The master cylinder and slave cylinder will not be too off.. Slightly more possibility of the rears locking, but negligible.. I can bias the brakes if need be..:cool:

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
I can save you a little time and money here. The 99-2004 TL's used a suspension setup similar to the 98-2002 Accords.(Some of the parts are the same). One major hurdle you may not be able to overcome. The Accord and TL use upper control arm to support the top of the spindle. The E spindle is supported by the shock/strut.Unless you can find a way to attach an upper arm to the E you are out of luck.

·
Registered
528 Posts
From a short discussion with the Honda R&D guys, they machined the caliper bracket by removing some material so that the bracket is spaced right for the rotor. Supposively everything else bolts up. Interested in what you come up with, want to do this mod as well.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great information guys... Both very helpful... I am going to use longer studs, a wheel spacer, and machine the knuckles to allign the rotor and caliper.. The ears are sturdy as heck, and if it works on the element d, that works for me.. That car gets used harder than mine ever will!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts