Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
I just bought a new to me silver 2003 dx/awd/automatic. Got it from a friend and it has pretty low mileage. I'm picking it up tomorrow. Anyway, here's my to do list:

-Keyless entry (already ordered)
-New stereo (something cheap with an aux input)
-Roof rack
-Trailer hitch (class III)
-Drivers seat arm rest (already ordered)
-Turn the blue trim on the interior to black or gray including seat covers (i'm not in a hurry on this but its annoys me that it matches nothing else on the car. Everything else is silver and gray! Why did they put blue trim on the interior?
-*Smaller rear seats (this is probably somewhere down the line as well)
-**Power mirrors (would love to do this ASAP)
-***DIY roof tent

* - I think the back seats are waaaaaay to big. I don't like the way they block your view and take up cargo volume when you fold them up. I’m going to use them just often and spontaneously enough to not want to take them out. Ideally they'd be a little bit bigger than pickup truck jump seats and would also fold forward then up against the wall. I’m not too worried about how comfortable they are. I've seen posts where people plan to mod the seats (and one showing the bare seat frame) but none actually finished. It looks like I could use the base of the seat as a base for the project. Any suggestions?

** - Again, i've seen posts with people asking about this but none ever finish the job. I've found that the switch and mirrors are pretty cheap but anyone know a way to wire it? I don't want to replace the wiring harness so ideally it would bypass it/ be its own wiring.

*** - This or a sleeping platform inside? I like the idea of the autohome tents because you can take them off as opposed the eCamper. I'd like something that folds up though. Maybe 4'Lx4'Wx8"H closed and 8'Lx4'Wx4'H when opened. Also, no more that 75lbs. I'd like to be able to get into it through the skylight like the ecamper though. This could be hard to make. I'll see how far my enthusiasm takes me.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Blue and grey interior to match the exterior. Yours has blue panels, correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they're gray. Did they have blue panels in '03?

I've priced the parts out at a little over $200 from hondapartsnow.com not including the seat covers. I'll probably give it a couple weeks and see how i adjust to it before I spend the money on it.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Critter.

Rear seats: Seems to me that it would be a lot more work (and probably less safe) to cobble together smaller seats than it would be to periodically remove and reinstall the stock ones.

Plastic panels: blue came along later. (2005, maybe?)

Power mirrors: You could buy all the replacement parts for an EX, but don't know whether that would fit your budget.

Storage/sleeping platform: List of EOC members' platforms here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ramblerdan,
You're probably right about the seats. If there was an aftermarket option i would buy a pair in a second.

As for the mirrors, its in my budget and i've found the parts but i don't think it plug and play. I've read different opinions on it but most seem to agree that the wiring harnesses are different between the DX and EX. I may just order the parts and see if i can wire it up.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,529 Posts
Welcome, Critter!! Glad you found us!! Gee, that mod bug has bitten DEEP, LIKE that (many of us have the same "disease"). If you haven''t used it, the search function helps TREMENDOUSLY in your drive to make your E yours. I'm working on heated mirrors, among others. Good Luck!! and, again

WELCOME, WELCOME!!

BTW, post pics of your new E when you get her home, we LOVE pics 'round here!!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Thanks Ramblerdan,
You're probably right about the seats. If there was an aftermarket option i would buy a pair in a second.

As for the mirrors, its in my budget and i've found the parts but i don't think it plug and play. I've read different opinions on it but most seem to agree that the wiring harnesses are different between the DX and EX. I may just order the parts and see if i can wire it up.
I helped woosterpuss do this on his LX. He bought the EX mirrors and switch,
and he also bought the EX wiring harness for both doors. Even with this, it is
NOT plug n play. I have some pix on my other computer, but the main thing
is that one of the actual plugs is completely different from the EX one. I ended
up pulling the wires out of the new EX plug and putting them into the old LX
plug so it would work. I cant remember off the top of my head how I wired
into the E. I think I just needed to get power to the switch from an add a
circuit, and ground. This was done under the dash on the drivers side. I also
remember that I had to cheat to get power to the light inside the switch. If
you look at the Helms, you will see it is its own circuit that comes on with
the parking lights, but with some weird relay (no key in the ingnition). I just
jumped the power for the light of the window switch, so the light for the
mirrors comes on when the key is in the ACC position.

If I find the pix, I will post them up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I helped woosterpuss do this on his LX. He bought the EX mirrors and switch,
and he also bought the EX wiring harness for both doors. Even with this, it is
NOT plug n play. I have some pix on my other computer, but the main thing
is that one of the actual plugs is completely different from the EX one. I ended
up pulling the wires out of the new EX plug and putting them into the old LX
plug so it would work. I cant remember off the top of my head how I wired
into the E. I think I just needed to get power to the switch from an add a
circuit, and ground. This was done under the dash on the drivers side. I also
remember that I had to cheat to get power to the light inside the switch. If
you look at the Helms, you will see it is its own circuit that comes on with
the parking lights, but with some weird relay (no key in the ingnition). I just
jumped the power for the light of the window switch, so the light for the
mirrors comes on when the key is in the ACC position.

If I find the pix, I will post them up.

Glad to hear for sure that it can be done! I'm not so worried about the light inside the switch though. I just want to be able to adjust the passenger side mirror without climbing across the car.

Definitely post pics when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Here are the pics that I have. Woosterpuss may have more.

This is the difference between the EX and LX harness. The EX is the bigger
one since it has the power mirrors as well a different speaker set up.

Here you can see I took the larger plug off the EX harness and I am putting the
smaller LX harness on so it will work with the LX.

Here are some pics of both harnesses next to each other.

And a picture of the final result.

We did this in August of last year. I dont remember how exactly I wired it.
I know that some wires from the passenger side are run across under the
dash to hook up the drivers side harness. We did use an add a circuit for
power, and I found a common ground under the dash. If I remember correctly,
it didnt take very long. Couple of hours at the most.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
it is a story i have been meaning to share :roll:
i also could not have done it without AztecRol. a wizard with wiring ;-)
even though i got new harnesses for the doors, we still needed to use the main connector from the passenger side lx so it would plug into the harness under the dash. which was fine as there were enough slots.
on another day, AR stopped by and got power to the leds in the switches.
it's something that i wanted to do since day one as well. didn't buy the parts until about 4 years later, and another 2 years to finally install it.
also cannot recommend getting the service manual. especially to map the harness you would need to make.
good luck, enjoy your 'new' e, and have fun with it!!

cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the pics and info AztecRol! I'm going to order the parts to do my mirrors in the next couple of weeks.

Just wired in a new stereo today. Just a cheap one because the stock one didn't have an aux input. Hopefully i'll get the keyless entry kit in the next couple days so i can throw that in as well.

I hope to get some pics up soon.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Thanks for the pics and info AztecRol! I'm going to order the parts to do my mirrors in the next couple of weeks.

Just wired in a new stereo today. Just a cheap one because the stock one didn't have an aux input. Hopefully i'll get the keyless entry kit in the next couple days so i can throw that in as well.

I hope to get some pics up soon.
I should have mentioned that if you do not have both Helms manuals for the
E, GET THEM!! They make the huge Helms manual that covers all the mechanicals,
as well as some basic wiring, and the Electrical Troubleshooting manual. Both are
PRICELESS when doing mods like this. I wish I could remember more, but we also
put in the JDM interior door handle with the lock/unlock button on it. When you
get the parts in for the mirrors, and if you feel you need help, PM me. Make sure
you have the Helms manuals when you PM me, because my answers will point to
specific pages in there!! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of work for adding electric mirrors!

Is there any way to make them heated mirrors too? Mine already has electric ones, but I'd love to be able to use of them in heavy rain without rolling down a window and wiping them off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Possible to add power mirrors to LX ?

I have a 2004 LX and want to add power mirrors to it.

The actuators and switch / switch panel, etc are pretty simple.

The tricky question I have not found answers about is the wiring harnesses. The harnesses for the EX and LX have different part numbers because the EX has more stuff in it. I am guessing that if I buy an EX harness for the driver's door, it should be enough to hook things up and get the driver's mirror working.

However, since the dashboard harness is very different, I suspect that even if I buy the EX harness for the passenger door, the signal from the switch in the driver's door will not have a path to go through the dashboard harness and actually move the mirror.

Frankly, I could live with power mirror on the driver's side only, but if it's possible to do it on both it would be super-nice.

Any advice, experiences, additions places to look for info, etc, etc are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I have a 2004 LX and want to add power mirrors to it.

The actuators and switch / switch panel, etc are pretty simple.

The tricky question I have not found answers about is the wiring harnesses. The harnesses for the EX and LX have different part numbers because the EX has more stuff in it. I am guessing that if I buy an EX harness for the driver's door, it should be enough to hook things up and get the driver's mirror working.

However, since the dashboard harness is very different, I suspect that even if I buy the EX harness for the passenger door, the signal from the switch in the driver's door will not have a path to go through the dashboard harness and actually move the mirror.

Frankly, I could live with power mirror on the driver's side only, but if it's possible to do it on both it would be super-nice.

Any advice, experiences, additions places to look for info, etc, etc are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Moved your thread into here. Your answer is in the above pix and posts.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the pointer Rolie.

In one of your posts you mentioned BOTH manuals. I have the Service Manual but I hadn't noticed the other one.

I'll get it and get back to you....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts