Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
EOC Rank: BANNED! :)
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a big of a brainstorming exercise. The wife and I took a trip early last year in a teardrop through the Southwest and really enjoyed it. We rented a 5 wide Little Guy.

Now we're considering getting a trailer for vacations, but for me a teardrop is just a touch too small. I like the idea of something like a [email protected], not an enormous trailer or motorhome, but also not a sardine can. We have 2 50lb doggies, and I'm no welterweight myself.

Trouble is, the E just cannot tow something bigger, so we'd probably end up with a Ridgeline (trading in the Mazda pickup of course. You can have my E when you pry the keys from my cold dead fingers lol). Which wouldn't be terrible I guess, but then we'd be camping with a Ridgeline, not the E.

Has anyone here gone from teardrop to something like a [email protected], or even the other way around?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
We have a tent trailer...also called a pop up that we are quite happy with, and tow all over the place with our E...
Numerous threads on the same subject...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would love one of these just don't have the cash. Check out the small model to match your element.

http://woodwindcaravans.com/

They are joining us next month so we'll get to see the new model in person.

Gaily

·
Registered
154 Posts
big dogs

WOW, 50#dogs in a tear. That would be tight! In my opinion a pop up would be best because if its raining or at night sleeping they can sleep on the floor or the other bed. Otherwise, while your sleeping they would be outside? There are a few small campers out there that the E can pull however I would not recommend a TAB. For what I've seen camping, and at the dealership, they are way over priced for what you are getting let alone tacky paneling and terrible joinery. That said their resale value is way low and you should be able to pick one up (used) for cheap! Good Luck. MoonDrop

·
Registered
76 Posts
We looked at TAB's and found them way too expensive and did not appear very well made. They be fine but they were also way too small for us. I'm 6'3" and 200#. We went with a popup. Got a Flagstaff 176LTD for a great price since it was the year befores model. http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/de...=176LTD&choice=ftc&nav=rec&name=87&series=MAC It is heavey for the element and I wouldn't want to drive it over the Rockies but the element does just fine on flat ground to moderate hills. We towed it from Houston to Carlsbad NM twice now and got 19mpg. We now have plenty of room to camp in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have a teardrop trailer and an 18 foot travel trailer... there are aspects to both I thoroughly enjoy and dislike. I believe you'll never find a perfect fit, but hopefully you can find a trailer you can adapt to your style of camping and travel.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
We have a teardrop trailer and an 18 foot travel trailer... there are aspects to both I thoroughly enjoy and dislike. I believe you'll never find a perfect fit, but hopefully you can find a trailer you can adapt to your style of camping and travel.
We recently purchased (got a great deal!) on a used 92 motorhome.

We really felt the need for something bigger for hurricane evacs and living in after a hurricane. Two dogs, a cat and all our stuff in an E and a Teardrop is quite stressful, especially if we end up forced to live in it. We were actually one of the few people here (my town) that did not own a full sized RV.

The motorhome allows us some peace of mind and we did not have to purchase another vehicle to pull it. It's also our spare bedroom for quests since we lost all our bedrooms in Ike.

The teardrop will still remain our "fun" camper of choice:-D
Probably use the MH for winter camping.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Congrats, JoJo -- sounds like a very strategic purpose.

How big is it?

:)
Learned a lot about motor homes while we were searching--Class A's Class B's Class C's.

We chose a Class C since they are easier to drive.
For some reason HUGE motorhomes are CHEAPER than smaller ones.
Best deals are on 30+ feet, but we couldn't get that on our driveway.
We were looking for 24's but the prices on the 28's were much better.
28' feet fits on the driveway!:grin: So that is what we got.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You really didn't get one Jojo...

:sleep012:I see no pictures??:shock:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Obviously the world is coming to an end. We're now asking for pictures from Jojo.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
For the bathroom, I tore out the carpet, added stick on tile then grouted it --12 tiles all together I bought them individually for a $1.12 a piece, cut one wrong and had to drive all the way to HD for just 1 tile!:x

Very cheaply done, since it was mostly paint, just a small amount of tile and wainscoting.

I put wainscoting on the walls, painted the walls, painted the cabinets and the existing hardware (towel racks, p-towel holder) with white spray paint. Then I made my own sea shell art boxes for the wall hung up with velcro. Mr. Jojo framed the mirror and I painted it white to match. I also spray painted the floor vent.

It has a little shower/tub. Stove in kitchen was never used! The lady said she doesn't cook when they travel. I added the toaster oven because figured I use that more than the stove.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I figured you might want to see the before bathroom pics.

I sanded down the cup holder console and painted it black, Mr. Jojo painted the engine cover and put on seat covers and replaced the carpet in the cab. The cab carpet was nasty!

He's replacing all the storage doors now, most of them were banged up and rotting, so he's found some tin at ACE and replacing the wood, painting them white and they look really good.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Thanks for the pics, JoJo.

A sweet BOV ("bug-out vehicle" for those not in the survivalist know). How many miles on it? My grandparents were famous for buying a new RV every few years though they'd hardly used the one they already had.

What kind of fuel mileage are you expecting? I've talked to Class C owners with 21' units getting around 20 mpg, but those might have been diesel.

Nice bathroom renovation, a little paint and flooring can do wonders.

So in the event of a hurricane evac, do you take both Elements, too? Towing one and driving the other (which tows the teardrop)?

:)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
97,000 miles, brand new A/C and transmission.
A motorhome depreciates 50% after the first 5 years. Anything over 10years old is pennies on the dollar! I don't know why you'd ever buy new:?

Were hoping to get 10mph out of it!:twisted:

Mr. Jojo gets the MoHo and pets, I get Sunny and will pull the TD.

We were pretty worried about the kiddo's E, but now he will be home next week, so THANK GOODNESS!:-D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Nice setup you got there.
My only suggestion is that instead of velcro, check out "3M Dual Lock" it's kinda like velcro, but is universal (no hook side and no loop side) it just interlocks and holds better than velcro ever could. Really handy for automotive use.

One other idea is to emplace supplies as you buy your regular groceries. An extra $20 in canned goods will save headaches when you actually need it.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
One other idea is to emplace supplies as you buy your regular groceries. An extra $20 in canned goods will save headaches when you actually need it.
I'm one step of ahead of you--living in hurricane country has made me a "prepper".

There is a bin of food stashed under the bed in the moho, and an emergency bin of food placed right by my front door.
The emergency bin is filled with canned and freeze dried foods for longer storage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts