Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, Have been lingering on the forums here the last couple of Months, gotta say, this forum is fantastic and extremely helpful, thank you all for that. I actually follow these threads more then Slickdeals, never thought that would happen. Well, after a full year of searching, finally got my E (photo attached, sorry not the best picture).

Could not believe how hard it was to find something in the condition and price range I wanted (nice, well taken cared for under 8K), especially in the upper midwest. Couple of weeks ago finally pulled into a small dealer in MN and found an '03 all Wheel auto with a 100K miles. Near new condition with only 2 very faint door dings, couple of scratches on the dash, 2 bulbs out in the dials, and one small seam tear in the seat, Thule Rack and OEM Alarm. Runs and drives like new, asking 10K offered 7k, dealer needed the cash and after every negotiation skill I conjure up with, settled on $7800.

Was very happy with my buy, especially after that full year of looking at countless examples, all pretty worked and worn, itching the 170-200k mileage mark. For my lifestyle this Element is perfect, I knew I wanted one for awhile, but after living with it the last few weeks, I Love it, and my girlfriend just started the search for her own, currently drives a Civic. A shame Honda did not promote this thing better.

Anyway, I probably had 100+ questions when I first rolled it home, this forum has answered most of them, but I do still have a few related to the Interior. Hopefully some of you can clear up the last few that I was not able to get answered searching the archives. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some feedback.

1. The biggest problem I have at the moment is the Glove box likes to pop Open every time I hit a bump. And to get it closed again I have to pull the latch lever, close the lid pushing very hard (way harder then you should have too) then let the latch will hold. Sometimes it stays shut, sometimes not. I assume I need a new latch on the box, no big deal, part is cheap enough. My questions is, the new latch comes with the a new keyed lock already on it. Will I be able to take the keyed lock portion from my current latch and add it to the new latch so my existing Key will work?

2. I would really like to replace the Interior Light to Blue LED, the one that comes on when you open the doors. And put White LED's in the push button Map Lights. I see allot of posts on this subject, and really don't know how to make Heads or Tails of it all. I see a ton of different style LED bulbs on ebay on the cheap, among a ton of other sources. Really just want something quality I can pop out the old bulbs, and put in the new ones. Is there a consensus on what bulbs and source for these?

3. When sliding my front drivers seat forward or back, it just does not seem rite. Slides very choppy, like something is blocking it, or something is not aligned correctly, anyone have any experience with that?

4.Key and Keyless entry questions. For the life of me, my keyless entry remote works only when it wants too. I blow into the unit and sometimes it works, most of the time not. I am sure I simply need to replace the fob, but though I would mention it incase there is a trick I am missing. Also, I was only given on key. From what I have read from old forums, they are spendy (around a hundred bucks from what I understand) and just try and get them were you can. Any new places to get a copy cheap?

5. I know I need to replace a few bulbs in the dials and the Cruise control button on the dash. Just want to know if the cruise controls on the steering wheel are also suppose to light up? None of mine do, and thought I would verify that there are not lights on those buttons before I make my parts order for the other bulbs. Also a few of the lines in the a few of the numbers on the radio LCD sometime with not register if it is really cold. So when the radio displays 105.1 for instances, you will not be able to see all of the 5. My guess is that is not something fixable unless a full head unit is replaced, but just wanted to be sure. Really does not effect me too much, but if it is an easy fix, why not.

6. Finally, this E was a 1 owner car owned by a retiree who went south for the winter. I know there have been a few recalls on this model over the years, and I doubt he ever got it in for any recall work. Is it possible to find out what recall work has been done, and if not would it still be possible to get it done?

Thanks all again for your time, I'll do my best to pay it forward and contribute when I can. Appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
273 Posts
Congrats on your new E. I can only help with a couple of questions:

3. When sliding my front drivers seat forward or back, it just does not seem rite. Slides very choppy, like something is blocking it, or something is not aligned correctly, anyone have any experience with that?
Could be dirt in the tracks, but honestly my seats have always been a bit choppy for front-to-back adjustments, so it might be normal.

4. Key and Keyless entry questions. For the life of me, my keyless entry remote works only when it wants too. I blow into the unit and sometimes it works, most of the time not. I am sure I simply need to replace the fob, but though I would mention it incase there is a trick I am missing.
I got a matching key fob on EBay for less than $20. It's easy to reprogram once you get it--instructions are on handa-accessories where you can order the keyless entry.
Also, I was only given on key. From what I have read from old forums, they are spendy (around a hundred bucks from what I understand) and just try and get them were you can. Any new places to get a copy cheap?
Just last month I got a replacement key from the dealer and it was only $60--I was expecting about $130, but they said that the key for the 2003 model did not need special programming (in part because the keyless entry is totally separate).

5.I know I need to replace a few bulbs in the dials and the Cruise control button on the dash. Just want to know if the cruise controls on the steering wheel are also suppose to light up?
None of the buttons on the steering wheel are backlit.

6. Finally, this E was a 1 owner car owned by a retiree who went south for the winter. I know there have been a few recalls on this model over the years, and I doubt he ever got it in for any recall work. Is it possible to find out what recall work has been done, and if not would it still be possible to get it done?
If you register on Honda Owner Link:
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?page=/prod_home.asp
You can at least see what recalls were issued for your vehicle. A dealer should be able to see if any of them have been fixed on your E.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts