Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
[quote:ac37a1afc8="Nate"]Don't ask how. But I found that the E has a governer. She tops out at 180 km/h. About 110 mp/h. Then the the governer cuts the engine back.[/quote:ac37a1afc8]

i was afraid of that... meh, i'll chip it when i get the cash together... damn car payments.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I do hope you mean 110 mph and not kph!!!

Iskie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Going to Lancaster last weekend got it up to 110 on RT 1. She wanted to go faster, but I ran out of room in front of me. I have to go to Philly tonight, so I am going to try again on 95.

Later,
Garry :twisted:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took it out on the 401 with my buddy. Since my wife wasn't with us, I thought I'd put the metal to the, umm, plastic and see what I could get it up to.

170 KM and heading into a bit of a wintery wind. Sherman was running smooth and the speed wasn't even noticable.

Oh. For my American friends, that is around 106 MPH. ;)

Cheers, Derek

·
Registered
139 Posts
I do 85-90 daily in my 74 mile one way commute. I have seen 110 for an extended (15 minutes) period once. Didnt want more attention in my SOP going more than 110 in Camp Pendleton.

·
Registered
19 Posts
27 mph

She was winding big time too... :D

just kidding, i have gotten her up to 90....she rode smooth at this speed and could have gone faster....didn't want to though...

after i stick on my "flames stickers" she should hit 200 no problem...(those flames add instant HP you know) :wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
[quote:e0e85b4b3e=" "]yea, i know it's not built for speed... but doesn't the boy racer in you just wanna come out and make an appearance every once in awhile?

i mean, my old car was a stock 1991 accord ex and on a lone stretch of desert highway at 3am i took it up to 135.... it's no sports car by any means![/quote:e0e85b4b3e]

135 in a STOCK 91 Accord EX??? That's a tough one to believe....however, an INDICATED 135 is realistically only around 125 or so. Older Honda speedometers have proven to not be the most accurate in the auto world.

I routinely drive my E at 80 or so on I95 here in the DC area. I'd really be concerned with taking it much faster than that. It's just not designed for that type of driving, and in all honesty, isn't safe at those speeds either. Brakes aren't made for it, aerodynamically it's very challenged, and the stock tires are as far from "performance" oriented as you could get. If you have one car do something unexpected in front of you while driving at that speed, you could be doomed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drove mine past 120 mph (it looked like 124 on the speedo), down a six mile hill in the Idaho desert after the break-in period, with fresh oil and a new oil filter. It was still accelerating when I ran out of straight-away and had to back off. That was with the stock tires. Since then, I've replaced those tires with Goodyear Fortera 235s. It rides nicer, is quieter and has far better traction. I don't anticipate going that fast again, but I have this habit of pegging every new vehicle I get after they're broken in, just once, to see what they'll do. My 1996 Geo Metro went 104. That was kinda scary!

·
Registered
45 Posts
107 Cruising for about 150 miles (nice little train we had going)

til the cops took out about 5 of our 10 folks. I am frankly surprized that the icecream truck was not pulled over considering I was the tallest vehic in the train.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I went ot PA over the holidays had it up to 90 no problems at that point the wife woke up and decided to bend my ear about how fast I'm going haven't been on open highway since but I am curious as well :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hey MikeQBF, do you think you could put these top speed figures into that model and come up with an estimate of Cd?

Seems like the complicating factor is that the automatic transmission eats quite a bit of power if you believe that guy's dyno test from a few months back...

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's the fastest you've gone in your Element?

As I'm still in the so called "break-in period" with mine, I haven't taken it over 85.

I'm just curious as to whether it can hit the 120 at the far end of the speedometer or not!
I got to 105 in my 2006 awd but that was on a country road so I’m not sure if a straight longer road can get me to go faster.. not very good acceleration but hey what can you expect from a camper car

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think the fastest I ever got my '03 EX going was 90 mph on I 24 coasting downhill on the on the East bound side of Monteagle.

Elements are not about power and speed; rather they are about multi purpose utility.

If I want to blow someone's doors off, I'll go to the next Mecum auction and get an old muscle car!

I do miss my '70 GTO though. That car was way too fast for the average teenager to drive around in! But, I somehow managed to keep it between the ditches and survive!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I doubt I will ever see more than 80 mph with mine-- no need.
In my youth, in the summer of 1976, just south of Hoopeston, IL, I once passed 4 semi trucks hauling sweet corn going 45-50 mph on 2 lane US Hwy 1, with my Kawasaki Mach III 500 motorcycle- I managed to pass the last truck before the oncoming car got me- I was going 110 mph- that motorcycle had the most acceleration I have ever experienced. I didn't worry about tires back then, but I should have. I remember this so well, because I avoided death by fractions of a second. That experience ended all my youthful "risk taking" !

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Love reading these old posts. Great to see that when the E was first out that drivers thought the E was fast and powerful. It is a brick but even bricks can fly. The Hellement is lowered 3", has speed rated 18" rims and tires, is turboed. 437WHP at 14# of boost. Onboard Nuvi has registered 127 for top speed. Blew the trim pieces off the windshield and I thought I had blown the engine. Slowed down, all gauges were showing okay but I stopped and looked around. My buddy noticed that the trim pieces were gone. Bought new ones, double backed tape and silicon sealer under the pieces and they have stayed on. Haven't been anywhere that I can open her up to see if she can go faster. Love the "Hellement"

21 - 40 of 42 Posts