Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#10: Get a bigger tank! That will increase mileage per tank - a 24 gallon tank means you can get 50% more miles per tank.

#9: Get an Oklahoma Credit Card! Low FICO score is not a problem.

#8: Go metric! An amazing 60% increase by calculating in kilometer/gallon. You may have to sneak into Canada to do this...

#7: Use Georgia Overdrive! On the downhills, of course.

#6: Jettison weight! Get rid of everything not absolutely needed - seats, rubber mats, headliner, glovebox, radio, jack, spare tire, spouse,...

#5: Slipstream! Suck in real close behind those 18 wheelers.

#4: Push start at lights! Stop engine on red; on green, get out and push the car, pop the clutch (in second); excellent in freeway stop-and-go commutes while building strong quads.

#3: Drive 45 mph highway/interstate in left lane; put giant "finger" decal on rear window.

#2: Go Lowrider! Small arse wheels/tires yield smaller circumference = more miles; works well with #3!

#1: Use your AAA benefits! Run out of gas, then call for your free gallons! You can do this up to 3 times a year!

Bonne Année, mon amis.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Add this one in. Find out where the best gas is, which might be based on the least amount of ethanol available, what additives are in it, or even a pump that delivers more than what it says on the panel. Sometimes, on my Toyota, that makes the difference between reaching close to 400 miles to the tank versus barely making it to 300-320 miles, even given identical driving conditions and weather.

Add one more - try consolidating your multiple errands into a round pattern to minimize back and forth driving, and try to live in an area so that you do the majority of your activities within a fairly tight radius of where you live. Altogether, I've been driving about 6,000 miles per year and spending about $30-50 a month on gas. Yes, a month, not a week.

Stephanie

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
#5: Slipstream! Suck in real close behind those 18 wheelers.

#3: Drive 45 mph highway/interstate in left lane; put giant "finger" decal on rear window.

Bonne Année, mon amis.
Well, #5 works, however it could get you beaten or killed!!

Toyota Prius drivers practice #3 all the F#$%ing time- without the giant middle finger. I want a bazooka to clear the hammer lane!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hello again Steamloco

I use the cruise control to save... but I really only do local driving...
The E is not GREAT on mileage, but if ya follow basic driving hints, it's not bad.
I have heard the discussions about 'clutch' v. Automatic but in my 1/3 city, 1/3 subs and 1/3 highway style driving, my leg would be killing me..... so we don't waste and are .....OK....with the E' s mileage.

Ooooo Look at the top of the screen advertisement! Add water to fuel!!:grin:

·
Registered
71 Posts
While a little upfront cost come in to play here, this is how to run your Element without using any gas at all.

Remove the engine, transmission, engine management system and the entire fuel system and replace with the appropriate diesel engine, transmission, engine managment system and fuel system.

This will give you a true biofuel conversion. Then take the wife and kids out to Burger King and order lets say, 2 number 6 meals, one kids meal and oh yeah a 55 gallon drum of cooking oil to go please. :lol:

Other than that put solar panels on your Element and cruise around that way during the day, at night though you may have to run on gas. :grin:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Why not try the "Flintstones" mod.

Cut out the floor and use foot power to get moving in city traffic:twisted:

·
Registered
40 Posts
just put a huge sail on top..be sure to lower the mast when in town..and hope for strong winds ( going your way):grin: on the hwy.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
You guys are too funny! I was just curious if any mods really work on our toasters for better mileage.
Yup. You can make sure your tires are filled to the mark with air and switch to Mobil-1 5W-20 oil in the engine. These are easy to do and really help. Along with that, your other best bet is to watch your driving habits.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I follow the tire inflation on the sticker on the door frame but I heard that's just a legal - cover their @ss recommendation?
Any preassure recommendations?
(I know - each E has different tires....)
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts