Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my outer tie-rod ends about a month ago and tightened them just enough so the cotter pin hole aligned with the castle nut. Car rides fine but now get a single "click" sound when I am making a really tight turn. I think I might need to tighten down that tie-rod end a bit more, anyone have the exact torque specs? Thank you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just did my front struts today. Tie rod end castle nut torque is 32 ft-lbs.
Thank you very much! Did some searching and found an illicit copy of the Service Manual and according to this page, it says 40 lbf ft -- I guess I will split the difference? Or maybe 2007 had a different setup?

Attachments

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
565 Posts
Thank you very much! Did some searching and found an illicit copy of the Service Manual and according to this page, it says 40 lbf ft -- I guess I will split the difference? Or maybe 2007 had a different setup?
Doublechecked my manual, it's definitely 32 ft-lbs in the 03-05 manual. Maybe they bumped it for the 07s and newer. Rock Auto has a good price on a Bisko (Honda licensed) digital manual. That's what I usually use though I do have about 70% of a paper manual; looks like mice have the rest. My brother gave it to me as a joke, something about my mechanical prowess..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doublechecked my manual, it's definitely 32 ft-lbs in the 03-05 manual. Maybe they bumped it for the 07s and newer. Rock Auto has a good price on a Bisko (Honda licensed) digital manual. That's what I usually use though I do have about 70% of a paper manual; looks like mice have the rest. My brother gave it to me as a joke, something about my mechanical prowess..
Thanks everyone, 32 ft-lbs it is. Appreciate your help! I'll be doing this on Friday and hopefully it will sort out the clicking.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Took the wheels off and yep, I severely UNDER-tightened the outer tie-rod ends, they were probably at like 18 foot-pounds so I put the torque wrench on and tightened them down to 32 foot-pounds and no more clicking. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just confirming what someone else said in this post... my Honda Element service manual for 2007-2009 shows 40 ft-lbs as the torque spec for the tie rod end castle nut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts