Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned last week, my current car, 2000 Isuzu Trooper, was severely damaged when we were hit by a drunk driver.

Henry and I are fine - the car is just a car.

BUT, now I'm dealing with the insurance company.

$8k estimate for repair and they want to REPAIR it, not total it out. The car is worth about $11k, conservatively. That's about 70%+ of the car's value. Who doesn't total a car out at 70% damage estimate? I'm not even whimpering for top dollar for replacement cost.

I think it's totally not in my interest to have a Carfax report that lists $8k worth of repair costs to an $11k car. I think I won't get anything above say $9k for it in retail or trade-in now, iif anyone even wanted it. Totalling the car, even with a lowball replacement figure, is the best solution for me.

So, what advice does anyone have? I'm seriously thinking of getting an independent adjustor to look at it and run his numbers.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Kim-

Are you friendly with anyone at any type of car dealership? If so, I would talk to them and see what they think as far as trade-in value with 8K in repairs.

Also, are you friendly with your insurance agent? That could be another route to go, as far as getting the car totaled vs repaired. Our Insurance agent is a family friend and his associates are very friendly and went to bat for me on a repair issue....I felt that State Farm was trying to cheap out of fixing something correctly and they were able to get the additional funds to make the necc. repair.

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you can't get the insurance company to total it out and pay you at least make them pay for OEM part on the rebuild. That will go a long way in value when you sell it immediately after it's fixed. :wink:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Get a lawyer - the expense will be far offset by the additional money the insurance companies would reimburse you for otherwise and should adequately cover the replacement cost of the car and the lawyer's fees.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same thing happen with a brand new car that only had a little over 600 miles on it. The insurance company wanted to fix it instead of total it, and believe me, it was totalled! I took advantage of the law that says I can have it fixed anywhere I want and took it to the dealer, insisted that they do an estimate PRIOR to starting repairs, and insisted on OEM parts. Long story short, it ended up being totalled. The insurance adjusters from your insurance company are watching out for their employers best interest and will low-ball everything. DEFINITELY get another estimate and ALWAYS insist on OEM parts. It's YOUR choice, not the insurance company's, especially in Texas.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote:bd5f345323="eMass"]Get a lawyer - the expense will be far offset by the additional money the insurance companies would reimburse you for otherwise and should adequately cover the replacement cost of the car and the lawyer's fees.[/quote:bd5f345323]

The next statement I'm about to make will forever color what good opinion of me you might have ever had:

I am a lawyer.

I haven't practiced in a couple of years due to personal circumstances, but come July, I'm handling a case anyway. My own. Might as well make it two. Nobody's looking out for my interests except me.

Le Sigh. I so did not want to go this route. But, you know, if they push me, I can shove right back.

GRRRRRRR.

·
Registered
311 Posts
[quote:9acb4f0225="TheLusciousHellcat"]As I mentioned last week, my current car, 2000 Isuzu Trooper, was severely damaged when we were hit by a drunk driver.

Henry and I are fine - the car is just a car.

BUT, now I'm dealing with the insurance company.

$8k estimate for repair and they want to REPAIR it, not total it out. The car is worth about $11k, conservatively. That's about 70%+ of the car's value. Who doesn't total a car out at 70% damage estimate? I'm not even whimpering for top dollar for replacement cost.

I think it's totally not in my interest to have a Carfax report that lists $8k worth of repair costs to an $11k car. I think I won't get anything above say $9k for it in retail or trade-in now, iif anyone even wanted it. Totalling the car, even with a lowball replacement figure, is the best solution for me.

So, what advice does anyone have? I'm seriously thinking of getting an independent adjustor to look at it and run his numbers.[/quote:9acb4f0225]

WOW.....DejaVu, Coinincidence,
It sounds like exactly what happened to me about 3 years ago. I was hit at an intersection while waiting for the light to turn green. This guy wasn't drunk but may as well have been. He had only had his license a year and thought he could make the light. NOT! He totaled one persons car, bounced off her and did 8K worth of damage to my 94 ISUZU TROOPER. I loved that truck. I had just paid a small fortune to have it's tune up and new shocks a month previous and WHAM, that was it. They should have totaled mine too. It was never the same after that. Problem after problem. I kept pouring money into it. Finally just last February I was looking at $1500 or more to repair the transmission..........no one wanted to buy it so I CARMAXED it. I got $3800 and put it down on the Element. I still miss the Trooper but no more costly headaches. It's over and this little Element should last quite a while long as no one runs a red light again. Good luck to you. But be advised.......I didn't believe it at first, but REALLY, they are never the same afterwards and if you wait too long you won't get anything for it. BUMMER :cry:

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The insurance company decided to "total" it and will offer me a figure for it toward the end of this week. I think this is the best outcome I could hope for, considering the state of the car and the fact, never disclosed to the insurance company, that I was planning on selling it in the darned near future.

Only bummer: I couldn't get my CDs out of the changer, damnit. I went and removed my umbrella, flashlight, and such, but even with the charger on it, the radio would not operate to eject the CDs.

Right now I'm just deep down dogged sick with a rotten lousy crummy no-good summer cold that's settled in my chest, and I don't care about anything other than trying to feel better soon, because Lucy. Is. On. Her Way. To. Me!

:-D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank goodnees no one was hurt in those accidents. I know it sucks but it is only money.You both could have been killed or really hurt. Drive defensively and stay away from people on PHONES. Good vibes your way for a high number$$$$$$$$$$$$. Hell cat Robitussin DM for that chest with a benedryl chaser if your stuffed up. good luck.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Chalk one up for Kim! I am glad that the insurance company came to their senses!!! Yeah for the little guy!!!!

Hope you feel better real soon Kim....lots of sleep, plenty of OJ, and get some vicks vapor rub (and a really cute guy to rub it on!!!!).....and you will be better in no time at all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kim -

Glad to hear the insurance company came around. Sorry to hear about your accident.

So, when is Lucy coming home? I know she's had her birthday, have they given you a delivery date yet?

Spicey is anxious to hear all about her new 'sister'!

Take care of yourself..Vicks rub & NyQuil usually do the trick for me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lucy will be home with me on Sunday evening.

I'm going nutz like a kid right before Christmas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts