Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a deposit down on my 4WD EX, and added the tow package. The dealer had surprisingly little information on the package, so I'll post this question to the real experts on the Element :wink: .
Does the tow package include a transmission cooler? Has anyone bought this option, and if so, how's the "fit and finish"? Does it look like it belongs on an Element? How's the wiring done, ie. cut and splice, or plug-in? And finally, how does it tow? Obviously a 1 ton pickup, the Element is not... but how does it handle the loads it is designed for?
I'm choppin' at the bit to get my hands on my E, and I can hardly wait the 2 weeks to recieve it!
Thanks,
Anthony

·
Registered
608 Posts
Anthony,

I did not know that Honda makes a tow package. All I have ever heard about was the tow hitch that Honda makes. If you check other threads on this board, someone posted their install of it. I am pretty sure it just bolts on, and they you do the wiring. I don't believe there are any modifications to the trany or anything else.

The tow limit is still low on the E. I believe that the tongue limit is pretty low.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think that anything heavy enough to cause you to need a transmission coller would probably be too heavt for the "E" to tow. The tow weight is limited to maybe a Seadoo or Skidoo or a very light boat.

Iskie

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree with Iskie. I have never seen a factory oil cooler or enlarged radiator for a Honda. The only thing i know of is the factory receiver hitch. I would definitely watch how much i towed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't plan on towing anything to heavy, but I believe the Element is rated to up to 1500lbs, or so. I just tow a small flatbed trailer with a couple of dirt bikes. I've been towing this same setup with my (believe it, or not) Accord for the last couple of years, to no ill effect. So I'm sure the E can handle it, I just wasn't sure about the automatic transmission (the accord's a manual). I've found that on many trucks (or suv's) a transmission cooler is never a -bad- idea, especially if you're in a warmer climate, or you drive in the hills often. Many trucks, suv's and cars come with them stock anyways, whether intended for towing or not.
Just some thoughts, Thanks for the input guys..
Anthony

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Honda hitch is class 1, 1500lbs. gross towing capacity, harness must be purchased seperate. 295.00 for the hitch, 168.00 for the harness - no p/s or atf coolers

·
Registered
118 Posts
I paid $212 for the hitch and $120 for the harness and installed it myself. The wiring harness gets a little complicated because you have to take half the interior apart to get to the wiring loom, but the hitch itself is a breeze. Whole job took about 3 1/2 hours. :wink:

·
Registered
80 Posts
upon close inspection i think the element has a tranny cooler. it is incorporated in the radiator. follow the oil lines from the tranny to the radiator then another exits the radiator back to the tranny.you can see this from the front of the car ,look down to the right side of the radiator.if im wrong someone tell me, but most automatics now have tranny coolers this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts