Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I have a Baja bug that I would like to tow with the e it would be on all 4 tires and just have a tow bar attatched the tounge weight is very minimal. do you think it will be ok? the bug weighs around a 1000 pounds

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
na thats ok I think I will stick with the tow bar. this way I can throw my paddle tires in the bug and all of our camping gear in the cargo pod and have plenty of room to carry all the stuff we need for romping around in the sand all weekend.

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
The Element is only rated to tow 1500lbs. I tow a pop up camper that runs about 1300lbs comfortable but feel that 2000 is way too much. It may 2000lbs. from the factory but by the time you put your stuff in it and run it on the water there will be a lot more weight to pull up a boat ramp!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
No. Not safely.

I would suggest considering the Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a Boston Whaler Jet boat approx 1600 lb., not a problem for my E even going up a pretty steep grade in the mountains of NH... our camp is 55 miles one way, no problems, you do notice that you are pulling though... you would want to make sure you have a 2" hitch, not the honda option and make sure you are not over 2000 lbs. as one post suggests, often when you add fuel, supplies and other things you get closer to 2300 lb. which would likely push the E over the limit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The perfect vehicle for me! A good interior for two dogs, the utility I liked in my Nissan pick-up, and the gas mileage I want (short of a turbo-diesel).

But how much can I tow?

I've got two boats. I know the 16' sail boat will be no problem, but how 'bout the 19' center console (??3000 lbs??)?

My prior pickup, with a 2.4L 4 cylinder could pull the motorboat. Even my current Subaru 'can' do it, but don't tell anybody (clearly I shouldn't be using the 'ru to pull such a heavy load).

Does anybody have a stat for me? or just a good suggestion??

Thanks

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
1500 lbs. max, 150 lbs. tongue weight max. You need to find something else for your 19-footer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rated at 1500. I would imagine it can do more, but wouldn't push it too far.

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
It is rated to tow 1500lbs. I regularly tow around 1300 with no problems at all. It is very comfortable at that weight but much more would be a pain im sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was wondering about the towing thang also.
Towing is one thing, but I worry about stopping when an old "Blue Hair" pulls out in front of me or you. :shock:
I see the result of this happening all the time. People yackin' on their cell phones too! :x
How does it stop for you BriBoy?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I wish the Element would tow more heavy loads as I have a hanker'n to get a trailer for adventures in America. However, I'm currently looking at this one which is 1,000 pounds dry, and without added accessories like A/C.

Anyone ever have one of these?

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
I towed in the mountains this summer for work, and the power was great with the load. Stopping was also fine. IT definately made your stopping distances longer but NEVER felt to be a problem. I did have one experience where I had to make an emergency lane change under hard breaking to avoid an out of control car but even then I felt as comfortable as can be expected. The main thing to remember is no matter how comfortable the load feels you cant forget its back there. Keep your eyes open, your cell phone turned off, following distmaintain a longer ance, and watch your mirrors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
has anyone added a tow bar to their 2WD Element? What is the towing capacity in terms of tongue weight, etc? I have bought a boat weighing 2200 lbs. The trailer must weigh 500 or so. The tongue weight is 200 lbs, apparently. Can I tow it? I live in a flat region w/no hills. The boat ramp is the only challenge. Can it be done?

thanx in advance for any replies

simlesby

·
Registered
183 Posts
the 150lbs/ 1500 is with a stock hitch,,,, which is where your limit comes from to a degree... I've got a modified stock hitch with a 2" receiver and I tow my boat with it at 400lbs tongue weight 1800lbs total weight

·
Registered
21 Posts
What was honda thinking here?
Should 1500 lbs be considered absolute max? Or can the element handle easy 1500 day in and day out?

I am thinking of buying the AWD model and will want to tow 2 ATV's and small trailor at around 1500 lbs. Would the 5 speed or auto be better?

What part of a vehicle get strained at the max level? Cooling system engine, or brakes or what?

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
I tow a pop-up camper that is between 1300 and 1400lbs depending on the trip. I towed it through the WV mountains at least once a week for work and never felt that it was too much for the element. The main part of towing is to watch your speed and following distance. The element is by no means a heavy duty tow vehicle but after towing my trailer i feel that it is more than able to handle it or otherwise i wouldnt tow with it. Overall I would say yes the element can handle the 1500lbs IF you are careful while towing, dont plan on winning any races, and watch your tongue weight the element is only rated at 150lbs.

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
400LBS TONGUE WEIGHT!!!!! WOW I dont suggest that much of a tongue weight on an element REGARDLESS of your hitch!. Do you use a weight distribution hitch or what?

1 - 20 of 503 Posts