Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at buying 2005 E with 40k miles showing on the odometer. The E was a toad/dinghy vehicle behind a motorhome. Can someone tell me if the odometer reflects total miles driven/towed or just miles driven? Its an AWD AT that was flat towed 4 wheels down. I did a search but found conflicting opinions. Anyone know FOR SURE? Thanks! BTW the dealer says its the combined mileage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am looking at buying 2005 E with 40k miles showing on the odometer. The E was a toad/dinghy vehicle behind a motorhome. Can someone tell me if the odometer reflects total miles driven/towed or just miles driven? Its an AWD AT that was flat towed 4 wheels down. I did a search but found conflicting opinions. Anyone know FOR SURE? Thanks! BTW the dealer says its the combined mileage.
I cannot say for sure about the OD, but my feeling is that if the key is off it will not record the miles.

I have worked for a towing firm for about 10 years and flat towing a E is perfectly fine as long as the speed it was towed did not exceed 55 MPH much. I would look at the tranny fluid, and ask for maintenance records on the vehicle. Also look for under body damage, many towed vehicles have alot of curb damage, and lower front end damage which is not easily seen. This is one those cases I would spend the few dollars and have a mechanic look at it and tell them that it was towed.

Chris

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The odometer will not read any towed miles as the ignition would have to be in the run position to energize the panel. It should be good as long as the owners did the engine run and selected the trans as the manual states. Like the last post have the car gone over real well especially behind the bumper cover as thats where the tow attachment went on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts