Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really been looking into lowering my E. I want to drop it about 2" all around. The thing is i tow about a 1200 pound trailor daily due to my job. Does anyone tow here with a lowered E? Do you think they be able to handle the weight?
I was looking at the tein springs. I was also thinking just lowering the front then do bags in the rear so i can fill them up with a load.

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated. Enjoy your sunday!:D

Thanks,
Trevor

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yes, a lot of people do, but all I have seen have coilovers to adjust for it, also if you use a trailer wieght tranfer bar setup, cant remember the technical name, it takes almost all the tongue wieght off the trailer and puts it on the trailer axle. Hope that helps. Also, rear airbags are about $800 without the tanks, compressor, lines, guage, fittings, ect.
Later
steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a lot of people do, but all I have seen have coilovers to adjust for it, also if you use a trailer wieght tranfer bar setup, cant remember the technical name, it takes almost all the tongue wieght off the trailer and puts it on the trailer axle. Hope that helps. Also, rear airbags are about $800 without the tanks, compressor, lines, guage, fittings, ect.
Later
steve
thanks for the info ill look into the transfer bar set up, sounds like what i need..
i just thought of bags because i have a bagged dakota and i have a few different set ups just sitting in my garage, i could finally put them to use lol.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
thanks for the info ill look into the transfer bar set up, sounds like what i need..
i just thought of bags because i have a bagged dakota and i have a few different set ups just sitting in my garage, i could finally put them to use lol.
The Element is not rated for use with a weight distributing hitch. This has to do with the way the receiver mounts to the Element's frame. A 1200lb trailer would not have enough tongue weight to necessitate one anyhow. Weight dist hitches are for 350lb plus tongue weights.
You'll be fine with a class III receiver and a reversed (upside down) drawbar with a 4" drop to compensate for the 2" suspension drop.

·
Mod-erator
4,573 Posts
I have towed with my E several times and never had a problem....you'll just have to be aware that the hitch will be lower to the ground now....you may have to reverse the ball mount to compensate.

I would also suggest the adjustable coilovers so that you can adjust the rear height to what will suit you best....tein or the new ksports.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, thanks for your help guys. Can you recommend a website where i can buy these things or should i just go to a shop. Theres a few here that install hitches and what not.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I recommend Etrailer.com. I've purchased two receivers from them and their price, service and shipping are second to none.
Do not go cheap on the wiring though or you can seriously wreck the E's wiring. The genuine Honda harness is the best from H&A or Honda Parts Unlimited. It is all easy to install with some basic hand tools, no drilling or cutting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recommend Etrailer.com. I've purchased two receivers from them and their price, service and shipping are second to none.
Do not go cheap on the wiring though or you can seriously wreck the E's wiring. The genuine Honda harness is the best from H&A or Honda Parts Unlimited. It is all easy to install with some basic hand tools, no drilling or cutting.

Awesome, thank you!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts