Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
12,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some of the older threads posted by owners who just had them installed. I want to here from owners who have had a chance to run the year round. My OEM Goodyears have less than 20,000 km's on them and are pretty much toast. Since my wife drives the E now i don't want her dring on crap tires. MY winter tires still have more than 50% tread left but since they are almost 7 years old i thnk they are ready to retire. I was looking at the Toyo's since i don't want to have to get 2 new sets of tires (Can't affors it anyways). Any comments on the Open County A/T's for year round use?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I haven't had them on my E, but my in-laws have run two sets of the Toyo Open Country A/Ts on their Ford Explorer. They've been champs in every condition they put them through--dry pavement, dirt roads, plenty of snow (in southeast Idaho). They've done well even when towing 4-wheelers or snowmobiles. I wanted to put them on my E, but getting the Michelin LTX M/S from Costco was $100 less overall, and I just couldn't justify the extra $100. They were a very, very close second choice for me.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Toyo's

I have them on my '03 E. 225/75/16's I like them. They're not as noisey as the OEM Wranglers and seem to ride abit smoother. I put them on at 63,900 & I have 118,600 on the E. I try to rotate them at least every 8k mi. I just had them rotated & was told I had 5-6/32nds left. No problem driving down to Fla from Ind. next month. Air pressure wise, I've tried different combos but the 32lbs front-34lbs rear seams to be the best.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had them on in the stock size for two years now with about 50% tread left. Snow traction is excellent and I consistently get 1-2 mpg above the E's rating for highway gas milage. Only drawback is they are probably the least aggressive of the AT tires so off road I would only rate them as average.

·
12,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback eveyone. Since my wife doesn't do any off roading these should fit the bill.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My '03 had newish Open Countrys when I bought it (49.000 miles). I have put an additional 50,000 miles on them with no problems. Fairly quiet and long
wearing. Obviously Im in the market for new tires and I wouldnt hesitate to
get these again (for the right price).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read some of the older threads posted by owners who just had them installed. I want to here from owners who have had a chance to run the year round. My OEM Goodyears have less than 20,000 km's on them and are pretty much toast. Since my wife drives the E now i don't want her dring on crap tires. MY winter tires still have more than 50% tread left but since they are almost 7 years old i thnk they are ready to retire. I was looking at the Toyo's since i don't want to have to get 2 new sets of tires (Can't affors it anyways). Any comments on the Open County A/T's for year round use?
I have used Toyo Tires on about 5 different vehicles over the last decade and all I will say is they are great tires. I am currently using the Open Country HT's on my E and on my wife's Highlander (not affected by recalls because it is an older model) and We have been very pleased in both instances. Toyo is a winner great traction, wear, quietness and durability.

·
12,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made up my mind on tires.

Now for rims. Since i am going to use them year round i am pondering mounting them on the silver steel rims i currently have with silver pilot center caps....Or finding a set of 2003-2005 alloys. I still have my factory alloys but i prefer the older style.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Did you decide on the Toyos? I read above someone said they're the 'least aggressive' of the A/T tires out there. I beg to differ. They're easily one of the MOST aggressive A/T tires on the road. Total opposite of what was said. Maybe he's thinking of the H/T? or the A/S? As an avid off-roader who used to drive a lifted F250, I have driven with a lot of different A/T and even M/T tires, and the Toyos are definitely some of the best and longest lasting of the bunch.

·
12,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I decided on the Toyo A/T. The tread does look more agressive than the H/T. I have them sitting in my store room right now and i don't think i will have an issue with road noise.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem. I've put 7k on my Toyo A/T's so far and overall I'd say the road noise isn't all that much different from the stock tires. Maybe a teensy bit louder, but honestly it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
what size are you guys running the Toyo's?

I have the Firestone Destination LE's in 225/70 and the speedo is spot on now. These are not much more than the tire shop quoted me for a new set of Firestones. I like the firestone tires but not thrilled with them and would go for a little more "bite" if I could without giving up noise levels too much.

·
Registered
282 Posts
what size are you guys running the Toyo's?

I have the Firestone Destination LE's in 225/70 and the speedo is spot on now. These are not much more than the tire shop quoted me for a new set of Firestones. I like the firestone tires but not thrilled with them and would go for a little more "bite" if I could without giving up noise levels too much.
235/60 R17 -- The tires are noticeably wider, which had me worried that it would rub on the strut (it doesn't, thankfully), but it's roughly the same height as stock. The speedometer, if it is off, is not off by a noticeable amount.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
thanks, I am still running my stock wheels. I stepped up to the 225 to compensate for the initial speedo settings.

·
12,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My plans have changed. I just picked up a set of P235/70R16 Michelin Cross Terrains with about 50% tread left for my favorite price...Free.

I hate to have to buy new winter tires.....Mine still have 60% tread left but they are almsot 7 years old.....Time to start shopping again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts