Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
BigWaveDave E,

Yes, many of us have checked it out, and have talked about it as well.

Toyota's trying to aproach the same market as Honda. OK, so?

Like everything in life, there are people who are going to like one more than another, and vise a versa.

The Element is out now, and made by Honda. The Toyota is due out in June.

With any luck, Toyota will find the same or similar sucess that Honda has found with the Element reaching into many age groups.

There is the right vehicle out there for everyone. If it is not the Element, they will find something else that is.

For many people here on this board, the Element is everything that they want. For others, it is not. There are plenty of other cars and other auto makers out there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Am trading a Tacoma for the E. Recently traded a Sienna for Oddesey.
Have been a total Toyota owner since 1989. It aint what it once was.
Sion having a separate dealer network is a bit of a shock, kinda like
Toyota is treating it as a sub-brand. Dealers dont have to sell em.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I like alot of the Toyota items, i was bouncing between Honda & Toyota before the Element showed up!

• I love Honda, I love their reliability just wonderful vehicles, the down side was they got sooo boring.

I grew up with American cars, Then I was in an accident, i hit a honda.. the honda was unblemished the American car was totaled it was a 5 mph accident! So I had persued a Honda, but I was open to what was available too. I was used to basic, manual trans, manual steering, manual windows etc.. vehicle. When I went looking for such a creature, I was laughed at, it was the beginning of the 1990's and this was just not to be found!

Before i got my first honda, I was between the celica & the prelude, the prelude did win mainly due to a dealer issue! But I was more than thrilled with my Prelude!! (it was all power, all the toys!). I was in a 70 mph accident with a huge deer, I only dented the front end.. says alot for the Prelude! The Prelude was also older then the American car that I pushed onto the lot to trade with!

When I retired the Prelude, i bought the Integra, which is now 7 years old and still awesome! Now I also have my Element, I love my Element! It is everything I wanted, it is simple, comfortable, smooth, and had the perfect touch of utility!

Now about the Scion, Again let me say Toyota has nice stuff, and I was considering a couple of their vehicles, I think the Highlander is very sweet, and the Avalon is really nice! But the Scion, I just have to know what they were on when they came up with this thing, it is just really scary, way too low, and just ugly! Toyota has another prototype that should be soon out, and that is really, really nice!
http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/look_ahead/conceptcar.html#fxs the click on "FJ Cruiser" at the right.. this is a nice neat vehicle.. I really like that! The RSC is also tempting.. so Toyota has alot of neat things coming out the Scion is not one of them!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Element-J

Your right. I think Toyota dropped the ball on the Scion Box.
The Scion Box is hideous!
But I guess to each his own. At least the Element has style and is not just another box.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Guys there may be someone out there who likes the Scion, but it does not sound like anyone on this board. Well, it is made up on Element people. :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone notice the specs on the Scion 'box'...The horsepower and torque numbers were really low. It may only be because it's based on concept numbers, but still...Pretty low compared to the E. Really no competition.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Scion either, and I think it's... well... unfortunate looking. It doesn't have near the same utility as the Element, and isn't the right car for me. Regardless, though, I think there are probably a lot of people out there who think it's pretty cool. I hope it does well (not better than the Element, though!) because competition drives innovation. That will cause Honda to add extra stuff and drive the price even lower on future models of the Element! That benifits everyone all round.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1.3 liter powerplant ....... I think my lawnmower can outperform those specs. If they gear this Scion towards young individuals, this wouldn't be a bad idea. Think about it ...... hand a 17 yr-old keys to a box with 110hp or a Mustang with 305hp. I say HP and speed should reflect your age.

I kinda like the style but not as utilitarian as the E.

-Nick

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Scion should be a hit to the younger crowd that like crusing and
hanging out it parking lots with their tunes playing. I am sure they
would trick it out. The Element I think is bought more for function
but the looks grow on you :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
The scion looks like an E with some dubs, tint, a modified spoiler, and ground effects. If you made these changes to an E I'll bet you it'd look a whole lot cooler. But - I think competition is good and even if you don't like the SCION it'll be one of the E's biggest competitors.
8) -pdub

·
Registered
141 Posts
Checking out the specs on edmunds.com for the Scion xB (the square one) it only has an 11.9 gal gas tank!!! That's mighty small. And 30/33 mpg? For a square box? I don't see it. It seems rather "Echo"ish to me. It also weighs almost 1000 lbs. less than the Element.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Reguardless of whether this is a good vehicle or not, its nice to see that car companies are striving to bring new and inovative products to the marketplace, instead of the same old hum drum products. I think Honda bringing the E out has sparked the competitive nature in other car companies, and I look forward to what the future brings.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think the Scion is going to suffer from being introduced behind the Element. The Element has become the standard, of a new category of Lifestyle Vehicle, because it was first and because it is from Honda. The Scion, is going to be compared to the Element and the Scion is going to loose in the comparison. The Element is truly the first "everything" vehicle. Especially when you combine the room, the easy of maintenace, the cool looks and the available Real Time 4WD.

Both Toyota and Honda are leaders in the field. Both realize that their reputation of quality, alone, is still not making up for the fact their vehicles are looking very boring and old. Honda has broken the mold with the Element. For the near future, the rest (Scion) are going to be viewed followers.

Honda did its homework and it has become a leader in a previously untapped market. However, I am 52 and am crazy for this car designed for people in their 20s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts