Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
12,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could be the strangest news of the year.

Today, Toyota announced that it would be joining the Fiat-Chrysler partnership. In a new deal, Toyota will provide all four cylinder engines over 1.4 liters to the triumvirate, along with its hybrid-electric technology. Chrysler will provide V6 and V8 engines, and Fiat will provide car diesels and small four-cylinder engines. Transmissions will come from each of the companies, with Fiat handling dual-clutch and extralight models, Toyota providing its highly regarded car transmissions for B, C, and D class cars, and Chrysler handling E class and truck automatics.
Fiat will continue to be the A-and-B class car supplier for the three companies, playing to its strengths, while Toyota will take over the C segment. D-class cars (Camry and Avalon) and minivans will be jointly engineered by Toyota and Chrysler at Toyota’s Ann Arbor, Michigan, design center, using a modified Fiat C-EVO platform.
Chrysler will lead engineering for full sized pickups, with the Tundra moving to the Ram platform, while Toyota will share its Tacoma with Ram, replacing the Dakota. The popular Toyota SUVs will continue with Sequoia moving to the Ram platform.
Lexus will continue unchanged and will not share its cars with Chrysler as a new Imperial lineup, contrary to past rumors. Where Lexus is unknown, Lexus models will be sold as Lancias, according to Sergio Marchionne.
Scion will either be dropped or will switch to selling Fiat models at existing Scion dealers, according to Marchionne, who added, “This deal resonates with me, because in addition to being a French-Canadian working for an Italian company after leading a Swiss company, I’m also 1/64th Japanese, 1/32nd American Indian, 1/64th Indian Indian, and 1/64th Armenian.”
Toyota leader Akido Toyoda said in a prepared statement, “Toyota continues to have the highest quality of any automaker in history. However, we believe our expertise can be better shared with the rest of the world by partnering with inferior companies which have some special styling skills in other areas where we have been less than fully successful.”
Toyota will switch to Chrysler and Fiat electronics in all of its retail vehicles, using the Chrysler systems in larger vehicles and Fiat systems in smaller ones. Conflicts between Iveco and Toyota’s heavy truck division have yet to be worked out.
The deal will give Toyota better access to Europe and Canada, where they have been less successful than in the United States, and will give Fiat and Chrysler better access to Asia, where they have failed to make strong inroads.
No stock will be exchanged. “The future is not financial linkups, but product and engineering sharing,” said Sergio Marchionne. “Also, we couldn’t afford Toyota stock.”

Oh… and happy April Fools Day.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
This is a good one! :)

There was another very strange news but it is a bit too political, so I think I can not put it on here. Got it in from the Center for biological diversity (Endangered Earth newsletter).

·
Registered
877 Posts
I just saw this... read it... freaked out... and then saw it was posted on April 1. Halfway through may and I'm still getting april fooled.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts