Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
I saw an xB on the street last night for the first time. It looks a lot better in person than in the pics. The drivers of the xB were staring at my E while I was staring at theirs. I think it has a completely different appeal than the E and may be more successful with the target market: Toyota seems to have priced them better for the age of the buyers their going for.

I do dispute the "average buyer is 41" so Honda missed the goal comment. The car with the youngest avg buyer in the US is the VW GTI, and it's avg buyer is 37. And there are only a few cars in between those numbers. There isn't a new car on the market that primarily sells to people in their early 20's. Even when it's popular with younger buyers, a car will attract enough older buyers if it's any good to raise the average.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just love watching the Scion experiment unfold. This is by far the most interesting automobile venture I've seen.
All these highly paid old people trying so hard to not act like they are trying at all. personally, i think the only gaping flaw is the motor that comes with the car. Aside from that, I don't think any one of us can say whether or not this will work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think the Scion Xb (specifically) will sell better with the youth market, than the Element will. However, I think that "most" of the youth market would "rather" have an Element. Price is always the factor in the youth market, and the Scion kills the Element as far as that is concerned. Of course, the Element is probably a lot better built, we know it has a far better powerplant, far more versatile, etc...but when it comes down to it...if the kid is buying it sans parental influence, the Scion will probably win out.

Another thing that may bring the youth market to the Scion faster, is the fact that the car is barely being released, and there is already a relatively large aftermarket for it. GReddy is supposedly making a turbo kit for it, and there are several other Japanese tuners that have parts for it. Hopefully, these companies will jump aboard the Element train soon, because this is killing me...I need some aftermarket pleasure!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Scion xA and xB
Toyota launched its much-discussed Scion sub-brand by unveiling its first two models. The xA is a four-door hatchback about the same size as Toyota's subcompact Echo. The xB is a very boxy wagon along the lines of Honda's new Element, but with four conventional-opening doors and a lower stance. The xA rides a 93.3-inch wheelbase, stretches 154.1 inches long, and weighs 2340 pounds. Respective xB numbers are 98.4, 155.3 and 2425.

Both Scions are youth-oriented designs on a shared basic platform with front-wheel drive, a 1.5-liter 4-cyl engine making 108 hp, and starting prices of less than $16,000. Standard equipment is generous for the class, including ABS, antiskid system, air conditioning, power windows/locks/mirrors, tilt steering wheel, and 6-speaker Pioneer CD audio with digital sound processor. Major options are limited to transmission (4-speed automatic in lieu of 5-speed manual), an audio upgrade with CD changer, and choice of three wheel-cover designs. However, Scion will offer some 40 factory-warranted accessories so customers can personalize their cars, important for attracting under-30 buyers, say Toyota marketers. For the same reason, Scion promises a showroom ambience and buying experience tailored for Gen-Y attitudes, plus a sort of "built to order" system that can deliver a customer's exact car in seven days or less.
- Consumer Reports

I am going to wait until I can see this product up close before I order my E. I like the exterior and design of E ALOT better, but I think honda dropped the ball for accessories, fuel economy,weight,acceleration just to mention a few. I mean, the Scion is 108hp, 8-10mpg better, and is FASTER than the E 0-60.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i also considered waiting for the scion. then i looked at the exterior pics a bit more closely-- the rear of the xB (the one that more closely resembles an element) reminds me too much of a PT cruiser. It does have much more of a road-race stance in that it looks like it's already jacked down and has plenty of ground effects. It's a drastic looking car not unlike the element.

in the end, my decision to buy was done on a few factors: 1) the honda name is impeccable for lasting quality; 2) the versatility of the E, 'nuff said; 3) the mere fact that the E was available for purchase, and had plenty of real world reviews by the time i was looking.

best of luck in your search-- sounds like you've decided to be wisely patient and not influenced by all the hype here :) let us know how your test drive/purchase decision goes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Personally, I think it looks cool. The only problem with it is that it looks like it's about as big as a "Mini Cooper". It hardly has the appeal that the E has, it has no real character. On the upside, the E looks positively aerodynamc compared to the one model.

I for one hope the world loves them and buys them like crazy. I like having a car that you don't see 4 of at every intersection like a Mustang or an Explorer.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i ditto zozo on "I for one hope the world loves them and buys them like crazy. I like having a car that you don't see 4 of at every intersection like a Mustang or an Explorer." well said.

yeah as far as the scion thing, it does not freak me out, i think the XB is just ugly the xa has potential but it is more like the matrix and other econo boxes that toyota has but with some more optional toys like the lighted drink holder, and the under the dash light tubes, they had fun with that, that is cool.. but is is hardly element competition.

The honda quality appeals to those who are looking for a tried and true vehicle, toyota is still a great maker but i think the xb is a boo boo.. it is not appealing but hey if they have people who want me cool more power to em.. i think i will grab one for a test drive that hp and all makes me curious sounds kinda weak to me.

I look forward to hearing what others think and feel if they meet and green the scions.. i love my E and have no regrets, prefect!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts