Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TPMS error light (not the low tire pressure light) comes on randomly for periods of 15 to 30 minutes, then goes off. This happens only on long trips, at least 200 miles. The dealer says the computer codes are 381 and 384. He also says this is a left side sensor problem caused by RFI (radio frequency interference), and they can do nothing about it. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Have you go some after-market electronics in the car? Electric motors, electrical accessories, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters, and portable entertainment equipment can generate RFI affecting the TPM system. Nissan tells you that no metal film or any metal parts should be placed on the windows (affects reception). Mazda has a whole list of no-no's:
1)If an electrical device or equipment near the vehicle shares the same frequency as the tire pressure sensors.
2) If a metal object is placed near the center of the dash, or a large metal object is placed in the right rear seat, it may block RF signals from the tire pressure sensors to the receiver unit.
3) The use of a digital device such as a personal computer or a current converter device that can cause an RFI condition with the receiver unit.
4) If excess snow or ice accumulates, especially around the wheels.
5) When tires with steel reinforcement in the sidewalls are installed.
6) When tire chains are installed.

Ford says the biggest offenders are: Cell Phones, garage door openers, remote starters, and radar detectors - that broadcast on the same frequency as the sensors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only transmitter I can think of is the aftermarket satellite radio, which broadcasts on 87.5 Mhz. I did have a cell phone in the car on this last trip. Possibly the ScanGuage could be generating RFI. All of these are pretty common items, so if one of these were causing it I would expect to find this problem in this forum. No digital devices, inverters, etc. in use when the light comes on.

The car is loaded with camping gear when this happens, so there are some metal objects in the back. Maybe it is the camping gear, and not the long trip that triggers it.

Thanks for the list of possibilities.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
With the symptoms, sounds like the camping gear could be a possibility. Something metallic shifting into just the right position to partially block the signal from that side.

Most TPMS systems use UHF unlicensed ISM (industrial, scientific, medical) bands - around 315 MHz in the U.S., I think.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,527 Posts
OK, MKH (or anyone else), I just had the same warning light come on, but, none of the above is a symptom. It just randomly seemed to come on (yesterday), then went off, only to come back on today. Kind of at a loss as to what might be the problem (yes, I checked the t.p. in ALL the tires, was withing tolerance). I know the TPMS batteries are only good for a while, but, I should be nowhere NEAR that lifespan.

Any thoughts??!! THANKS!! :?:calvin:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Garage or gate opener or a security badge from work.
Weather radio in the camping gear.
Older camcorders (RCA being a bad one)
GPS
Quartz travel alarm clock

Anyone know the frequencies for the "easy pass" toll road transponders? I'm thinking the power output would be too low on those anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts