Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cel is on and i threw the tps sensor code. how i got it is when i tried to figure out what was wrong with my starter. i found out that it wouldn't crank when it's cold. after putting back the IM and everything back on, the cel light came on. will replacing part 16400-RAA-A21 from http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_parts_list.php?vin=&Label[ProductID]=ELEMENT&Label[YearID]=2007&Label[DoorID]=5&Label[GradeID]=SC&Label[AreaID]=KA&Label[TransmissionID]=5AT&Label[SectionID]=ENGINE&Label[IllustrationGroupID]=THROTTLE+BODY&ProductID=15&YearID=38&DoorID=3&GradeID=146&AreaID=2&TransmissionID=7&SectionID=1&IllustrationGroupID=11444 fix my problem?

how much will it cost to fix the tpms, worst case scenario, having to replace one sensor? i think i got it from using fix-a-flat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, am scanning the forum posts about this. We have used Fix a flat to fix a tire 2 times on a 2007 Element AWD. It worked well the first time, no warning lights afterward. A year later we were running into loss of air again during the Michigan winter in a tire [tires may have been rotated, not sure if it is same tire]; used fix-a-flat again. All was well for a week, no loss of pressure and no low pressure indicator light. Now the TPMS warning light is coming on. [not the low pressure indicator light].
Am I understanding the posts above, that Fix a Flat can damage the TPMS system to cause the TPMS system light to come on? Or did you mean that FixAFlat damages the sensor in that tire alone?

Also, I saw another post that there is a battery in the TPMS indicator system and that might need replacing. Or it could be a fuse. Would this more likely be the problem? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
it damages the sensor in that tire. and coats the tire and rim in yuckyness thats a pita to clean out

a exterior plug is better then fixaflat if you cant get the 10-20$ flat repair

as for battery. a tpms is permanently sealed. you have to replace whole sensor to replace the battery. it tends to have a 5-7 year battery life

as for the fuse I have no info on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Racerc2000.
I will need new tires in a few months anyway, so will just wait until then. Expect that new sensors need to be installed in new tires. Hope that the new tire/sensor will cause the tpms light to go out, as long as the rim is not too gunky.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Thanks Racerc2000.
I will need new tires in a few months anyway, so will just wait until then. Expect that new sensors need to be installed in new tires. Hope that the new tire/sensor will cause the tpms light to go out, as long as the rim is not too gunky.
I'll bet that the sensors will cost more than the tires.:roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm, the black tape option is sounding better and better....

As we are sitting down today to look at new tires online due to another tire losing air, I've learned that fix a flat has been used in that tire as well. Now I see I'm out $100 or more if I get both sensors replaced when the new tires are mounted.

I think my cheapest/most reasonable option is to eliminate the sensors altogether when mounting the new tires. I've read several posts that this will not cause any problems balancing the new tires nor with driving. I'm prepared to check the tires manually at least monthly on my own.

Will this cause any other problem with driving, safety, etc ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts