Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there is an abundance of various Honda dealers represented on this site, I do believe it is a good location to ask such a question.

If I have a trade-in, how should I go about talking it into the deal? My salesman is now a friend, and will sell me an Element at invoice. He told me that he's still making plenty of money to live his life off of that, yet i'm not walking out with an empty pocket. Once my desired Element arrives, should I walk in, say "I want $**** for my truck and nothing less" or should it be "I also have a trade-in, and don't kill me on it too bad." I can easily relate to my salesman, he's close to my young age, and we can make connections like "mods" and what-not. I do not have the time nor effort to sell my truck in Auto Trader, or any other private party method. I have tried this for 6 months now unsuccessfully, and I do know the market sucks for used cars right now.

All the Honda dealers, let me know how you would best like to be told of a trade-in.

Andrew

·
Registered
84 Posts
How do you conclude the salesman is your friend? Salespeople are paid to make friends. There is also a sales manager in the picture who is probably controlling the parameters of the deal anyway. Get a NADA estimate as to value of your car in your area. Confirm it with prices in the want ads, realizing that most used cars sell for less than the asking price.

Keep in mind that the dealer can buy almost any car he wants at an auto auction for wholesale. Even if the salesperson is your friend, there is also a used car manager in the background who is as sober as a judge about car values and who is going to be asked about the trade-in.

Set a reasonable goal and stick with it, but don't be either s sucker or a jerk. As to how to present it, just keep it real and be cool, realizing that YOU are your BEST friend.

yelapa

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My best advice is to know your blue book value and take nothing less!

I traded in a beat up 1993 Chevy Cavalier, and while my blue book wasn't very high ($500) I went in knowing that and when the dealer wanted to give me less I simply brought up the blue book value, and the dealer said "If $200 is going to break the deal.....we WILL work this out" and we did!

Stick to your guns! If this dealer doesn't deal.....you WILL find one that will....we hit all 5 dealers in St.Louis until we found one that we could work with.

Good Look with your trade in!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dealers in my area go by the Black Book. My advice, take the car to Carmax (if you have one in your area)and see if they'll give you an offer. If the dealer's offer is close take it, otherwise sell it to Carmax.

If you can't get an offer from Carmax, determine what you'll take for the vehicle based on Blue Book. If the dealer can't give you your minimum, sell it privately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts