Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about TJ's being good camp food. There is one near me in the parking lot from hell.

Any ideas as to what to look for? I hate shopping so suggestions would be really helpful.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I'd go to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods more if they had decent parking lots.

Trader Joe's has some different stuff from the normal grocery. And some good deals.

A couple friends are devotees and I occasionally go with them. Otherwise, I just don't.

And it's my understanding that some items are one time only.

You should go check it out. It is different. The one at Bailey's Crossroads is not very big.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
But the Element has such a tight turning circle, that it can fit in the tightest of parking lots :)

A quick run down of what I have taken on camping trips. Some things are unique, some are just a lot cheaper than other places.

bottled water - 25oz bottles with pop top fit nicely in the E cup holders; I also have a stash of 50oz bottles for reserve (if for example the campground does not have water).

good quality flour tortillas

bruschetta toppings - tuna in olive oil - sopresata salami

frozen tuna - after a day or two in the cooler it is thawed and ready to cube and quickly sautee for supper
frozen mini-meatballs
teeny tiny potatoes - small enough to cook quickly on the camp stove.

savory broth - soup stock concentrate in single serving pouches

chocolate covered espresso beans, pound+ chocolate bars (72%)

nuts (almonds, cashews) in single serving bags, handy for the snack bag

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The Joe's also has a soap like the Dr. Bronner's. Cheaper.

Middle Eastern Flatbread won't last more than a few days, but OMG, it is tasty. Put it in a skillet with minimal toppings (and a lid if handy) and suddenly there's pizza.

+1 on the broth concentrate. I use that at home all the time and it would make a nice flavor picker-upper for camping food!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They had a lot of things at Safeway as well, I'd just never thought to look. Indian boil in a bag. Cooked rice that you nuke or just heat up in a pouch. Even tiny meatballs,lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMFG that youtube was hillarious! I've shopped at quite a few Trader Joes and every one has a horrible parking lot. :rolleyes:

Teriyaki turkey jerky
trader joes version of mini Ritz bits crackers with peanut butter
pita bite crackers
individual bowls of soup (annie chun or trader joes)

I love TJs, but you really have to watch out for the produce. Onions are disgusting, found lots of aphids in the lettuce, and the three pack of multi colored peppers always has at least one that is moldy.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
my local trader joes shares a parking lot with the Santa Barbara Cosmetic surgery clinic. lots of the TJs food is all natural and preservative free, unfortunately you cant say the same for the customers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dungenes Crab

I keep reading about TJ's being good camp food. There is one near me in the parking lot from hell.

Any ideas as to what to look for? I hate shopping so suggestions would be really helpful.
Trust me...
Two Dungenes Crabs, cooked over a fire (boiled in a pot)
Small white potatoes.
Bottle of 2BuckChuck.

It don't get no better than that.

I have the whole S&R team hooked....
After training session, we cook out.
Total cost $12.00 give or take.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ooh, that sounds good.
Last time I went to TJ's (Not that bad a parking lot at ours, the boutique mall behind it is a freakin' nightmare though) we got the Roasted Red Pepper Tomato soup and some mini baguettes with cheese.
Voila! A sophisticated version of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
Delish!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts