Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i install a Honda trailer hitch, is it outward enough to prevent some uncaring driver not to scratch or gough your rear bumper?

I am never going to hall anything by the way. I just need some owners out their who has the trailer hitch :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
the hidden hitch one sits almost flush with the bumper without the insert in. I guess you could drive around with the ball on the back of your truck in order to save the bumper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The hidden-hitch is a great accessory for the Element. I put mine on in ten minutes. I also installed a Harley hitch cover that fits perfectly, though it does not extend much beyond the bumper if that is the protection you are looking for. :lol:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) What is a hidden hitch???

2) I need something at least 5 to 7 inches outward so i can save my bumper :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you being followed by the bumper attack squad?
Hidden hitch is just another manufacture for a rear hitch.

Dood, the best thing for you, it sound like, get a hitch installed then buy one of those platforms that you attach to it to hold like a cooler or something. They stick out a good 2 feet from your bumper. Then you could wire electric through it and shock anyone that touches it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The factory hitch is a 1 1/4" hitch, did you need a 2" hitch to get the extension you need to clear the bumper? Let me know as I can measure the hitch distances for you and let you know what would work best. We have most of the Element hitches in stock and can offer you a 15% discount for seeing us hear. Let me know if I can help. 1(800) 722-5872 (216) I work for sports rack.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Why all the worry about the bumper? If you want something to stick out that far, you're also increasing YOUR chances of bumping into someone while parallel parking or backing up out of a tight spot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got the Honda accessory hitch for my E and it doesn't stick out past the bumper, you would need to put in a 1 1/4" + tow ball to have it extend past the bumper. If you could get a 2" hitch, some companies make a rear step that you could keep mounted all of the time. It looks somewhat like a mini bumper. Check this website out:

http://www.realtruck.com/Products/BumperSteps.asp

Unfortunately it isn't available for the 1 1/4" version. Maybe someone makes a conversion from 1 1/4" to 2" so that you could use this thing. Anyone know that out there?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found from a local trailer shop (John's Trailers, 440-232-4311) that there is a conversion available that slips into the 1 1/4" receiver and converts it into a 2" receiver for about $25. These come in various lengths - with one of these you could then use a 2" bunper step or carrier. I don't know if using one of these would put too much tongue weight on the hitch and damage the subframe that the hitch is bolted to or not. Generally when towing, only 10% of the weight of a trailer should be on the tongue - so if an E can tow 1,500 lbs safely, would putting a step on the E and then having a 250 lb heavyweight use the step cause a problem? Does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You may want to think twice about leaving something in the hitch. If some uncaring ass hits your hitch you may be in worse trouble because the hitch mounts to the unit body construction. it may tweak your frame what there is of one and leave the vehicle out of true. At least the bumper is replaceable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts