Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tow limit is 1500#. Thats a class 1 hitch and my wave runner.
(most pop-up campers would also fall into the catagory)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the tongue weight of your tow. You have to add that to passenger weight and cargo in the E and be under the 675 lb weight limit for the vehicle. Not much room to play there. My Pop up tongue wt. is 275 lbs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't have a brochure to look at... I was actaully thinking along the lines of the tongue-weight issue. Could be overcome I suppose with good counter-balancing near the ass end of the trailer to neutralize tongue weight though.

My first thought usually tends to run towards the lesser-than obvious trains of reason... but then again when it comes to the Element.... you kinda have to be... for me to ride in one it take some forsight with passengers and cargo... I'm not a BIG man... but me at 6' 220, a missus and 2 kids... that 675# adds up quick

·
Registered
65 Posts
A local hitch dealer did some investigation and found that a CRV class 1 hitch would work on the Element. Hitch was about $100, install about another $50, it probably could be installed without too much of a problem. This hitch is a great one for mounting a bike carrier, don't need a light harness for that. Check out the CRV class 1 hitch at a local dealer - much cheaper than the one through Honda.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tongue weight is recommended at 10% of trailer weight............do you have a 2750lb. pop up? That alone is almost twice the recommended towing weight and only about 600lbs. less than the weight of the Element itself! Are you sure you want to tow something that heavy? I pull a M/C trailer that weighs about 800lbs loaded with a tongue weight of 80lbs. That still leaves 595lbs. for me, the wife and any other cargo. No problem! :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts