Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about wiring my 06 EX for trailer lights and am finding information that seems to contradict other information. I see some videos showing the older Elements (06 and older) having a trailer wiring connector either behind the right rear trim panel or in the spare tire area while other videos show cutting into the taillight wiring. I'd prefer to not tap into the existing wiring if possible, but am not sure my 06 has the connector from the factory to do so. Can anyone clarify this for me?

thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the official Honda trailer wiring instructions for a 2006 Element:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/05hitch.pdf

Looks complicated doesn't it? I think the kits with a powered converter would work just as well and are cheaper and easier to install:

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2006_Honda_Element.htm
Ya and to make it worse, there are videos of people just plugging a module up under the dash and then plugging in a connector in the rear and being done!

I bought the powered converter, but was hoping there was an aftermarket unit that didn't require tapping wires. Not a huge deal, but thought I'd ask.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Ya and to make it worse, there are videos of people just plugging a module up under the dash and then plugging in a connector in the rear and being done!
Unfortunately the procedure differs for various years. That video was probably for a later year Element than yours.

I bought the powered converter, but was hoping there was an aftermarket unit that didn't require tapping wires. Not a huge deal, but thought I'd ask.

Thank you
At one time I thought Etrailer had a kit that duplicated the Honda unit but I may have been mistaken.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I wired my 2005 EX I found that there was a trailer connector in the wiring harness but that it was not live and to energize it would require great effort and expense. What I did was to buy an aftermarket electronic trailer wiring device that is essentially a batch of electronic relays that is powered by a direct connection to the car's battery and triggered by the brake, turn signal and taillight wiring of the car.

Mine is from Valley Hitch but several companies including Uhaul sell them for $ 35 - $40 or so. The wiring for our turn brake, turn signal and taillights in our cars is very small so you do not want to overload it with a trailer. These devices take a very small input from the brake, turn signal and taillight wiring simply to activate the electronic relays and use power from the car's batter to light up the trailer lights. I ran a 16 gauge wire fused right at the battery under the car (wire tied frequently to what ever I could find under the car) and up through a hole I drilled in the spare tire well (sealed with a grommet and silicone) put the relay in the well and taped into the car's brake, turn signal and taillight wiring ( I prefer to cut the wires and solder in the leads but you could use wire taps). I bring the trailer wiring connector out from the well and and beneath the tail gate whenever I want to use it. Cost about $40 and has been working fire for 8 years or so.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,102 Posts
I found what appears to be a no-cut/tap unit for the 06 Element.

http://www.carid.com/2006-honda-element-trailer-hitches/hopkins-wiring-harnesses-12632853.html

I'll have to look to see if I have the connectors discussed in the installation instructions and maybe try this one. Looks like the one in the above linked video.
This kit will not work on the 2006. But it will work on 2003-2004.

Carid has the same part number listed for 2003. The 2005-2006 have a totally different set up.

Sadly the listings from Carid are often wrong.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Looks complicated doesn't it?
Holy carp... that is a TON more work than the '08 !

That's about it for the '08. The harness from front to back was already there. Just plug in the rear harness, and install the relay box under the dash.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I just added a Honda plug & play to my 07. Found it on Amazon.
Kinda pricey, but piece of mind for not causing problems with an aftermarket hack kit. All the connecters and wires are there. Had to 'fish' the harness out to the hitch without removing bumper cover. It also has a schematic in the factory manual, so I marked the fuses in the underhood fuse box just in-case the trailer pops a fuse rather than scramble around in the dark.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just added a Honda plug & play to my 07. Found it on Amazon.
Kinda pricey, but piece of mind for not causing problems with an aftermarket hack kit. All the connecters and wires are there. Had to 'fish' the harness out to the hitch without removing bumper cover. It also has a schematic in the factory manual, so I marked the fuses in the underhood fuse box just in-case the trailer pops a fuse rather than scramble around in the dark.
Do you have a link to the kit you found on Amazon?

·
Registered
24 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-08L91-SCV-100A-Trailer-Harness/dp/B006RIVXC8[/ame]

Won't fit your 06.
Damn, well thanks for the response and letting me know. I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly will work for my 06, I was going to just give in and spend $190 on the harness from the Honda dealer but then I read somewhere on here that even that one is not a simple job on the 06. The Honda parts guy seemed to think or was real simple plug and play though.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,102 Posts
Damn, well thanks for the response and letting me know. I'm having trouble figuring out what exactly will work for my 06, I was going to just give in and spend $190 on the harness from the Honda dealer but then I read somewhere on here that even that one is not a simple job on the 06. The Honda parts guy seemed to think or was real simple plug and play though.
Took me 15 minutes to install mine on my 2006. I didn't bother pulling the rear bumper. I left the Harness in the spare tire well and just hang it over the lower tailgate when needed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts