Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
post up your install, so others with an 06 will know.

I work in a dealership and have repaired many problems with the hacked in harnesses. Not on my vehicles.

I'm thinking the outside harness is the same as the 07. I had to remove the little flapper door near the tail gate, and pry back the plastic bumper a bit. fished it through the factory holes. Then then drilled 3 holes in the cover on the bottom of the bumper for zip ties to hold the harness.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I installed the wiring harness yesterday, took me about 3 hours. I bought
and it didn't come with instructions but I found them on Handa [ame]https://www.handa-accessories.com/element/05hitch.pdf[/ame] Sorry for what's probably crap video and my fumbling through the job for the first time.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Looks like they Discontinued part number 08L91-SCV-102 I guess I am going to have to tap those wires.
That's because you can buy them all over the place for less cost. The wiring on your '05 didn't suddenly become more forgiving because you can't buy that particular part number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am the proud new owner of a 2006 Element. I have read with interest the threads on trailer wiring and I found this connector next to my spare tire.

Am i correct in assuming that this is
1 Factory install?
2 This plug should separate near the blue tape?
3 With a proper adapter those four wire should turn into a 4-pin flat standard connector?
Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.
WW

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used Curt products for a couple of my vehicles. This is for an 06E.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Your Element is -partially- wired for trailer lights and yes, that plug is part of it. There's more to it than simply plugging a 4 wire pigtail at the back and be done. Unfortunately, there was a flaw in the design of the 2005-06 model which made the brake light circuit especially vulnerable if over-taxed. You can either get an aftermarket kit that uses the original wiring or a self-powered adapter that uses the original lights to control the lights but draws its power direct from the battery. DON'T try to just add the trailer lights direct to the vehicle lights because if you have a problem, it'll be expensive to fix. Trailers and shorted wiring go together like toast and butter.

The instructions for all three variations are posted all over this board already. 2003-4, 2005-06, 2007-end of production. Make sure you have the correct version for your model.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts