Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003...everything works but my left turn signal at the trailer plug. My question is: is there an independent fuse for the left turn signal for the harness? I ask this because the E's left turn signal works fine. Originally I installed the honda harness / extension to run from behind the wheel well plastic to the hitch. I'm hoping I won't have to take apart the inside to inspect the plug.....please let there be a fuse...haha

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is a fuse under the hood. I can't remember which one it is. Check the install instructions on the h and a website.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
nah, the left turnsignal isn't seperate from the others.

I'm guessig something got screwed up when you ran the extension from the spare tire well thru the bumper area. If you cut and spliced the wire one of the connections is prolly bad.

·
Registered
963 Posts
nah, the left turnsignal isn't seperate from the others.

I'm guessig something got screwed up when you ran the extension from the spare tire well thru the bumper area. If you cut and spliced the wire one of the connections is prolly bad.
Aprilia, wasn't there a wiring issue on the older E's? Rolled or some sorta mess like that?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Aprilia, wasn't there a wiring issue on the older E's? ?
There was a problem w/ defective or miss-wired trailer harness kits (Honda) or something like that.....but I thought that was '05 or '06s.

A few people have reported the "converter box" part of the trailer wire harness for the '03 & '04 models (Honda and aftermarket) going bad....this typically causes a problem with the tail lights going ou when the turn signal is activated. (typically....but anything is possible)

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
There was a problem with the OEM harness in the '05 - a couple of wires were reversed. No biggie.

But, from what you're describing it really sounds like an open circuit on the left brake/turn signal (the yellow wire).

Time to grab a test lamp and back trace the circuit.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I had the exact problem with ours....replaced the converter (the box attached to the harness), and it's all good now...

Bh241 is correct - there is an open circuit, but it's inside the converter box...
FWIW, when we put a circuit tester to the 4 wires coming out of the box, it showed current on the left turn circuit, but apparently it's not enough to actually operate the signal on the trailer. Baffled me for the longest time.
Finally went into my local RV place, and had a long conversation with their guy...
Turns out the 03/04 uses what they call 'European Style' converter - 5 wire to 4 wire converter. DrawTite (Reese) and most trailer manufactureers make a generic harness for these. Cost us about $25. I cut off the OEM harness, and wired in the 5 wires, saving the Honda Plug, and wired in the other 4 wires. Works just fine now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts