Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm wondering what kind of utility type trailers people are pulling behind their Elements? I've checked out one like the "SportPod" and "SportTote" on the web and they look alright, but I"m just wondering what other options there are.

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I've got a 5X8 that carries everything (like a fridg to the dump)

·
Registered
499 Posts
TPascal said:
Hi,

I'm wondering what kind of utility type trailers people are pulling behind their Elements? I've checked out one like the "SportPod" and "SportTote" on the web and they look alright, but I"m just wondering what other options there are.

Thanks,

Terry
I use a 4'X8' from Harbor Freight for hauling firewood and/or my motorcycle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
TPascal said:
I'm wondering what kind of utility type trailers people are pulling behind their Elements?
I've got a Snowbear 5X8 that I picked up at Home Depot for about $500. Works great for hauling small amounts of hay bales, lawn tractor, and other assorted junk.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
what are your boat ramps like?

If 2000 lb is the weight of the boat, what's the weight including trailer and gear?

If you have experience with towing, and need to tow this boat on a temporary basis, go ahead and try it. However, if you are dreaming of buying this boat, and the Element is your ownly towing option, forget it. Either get a different tow vehicle, or get a different boat.

The reason why ask about ramps is the pulling a loaded boat up a steep ramp is one of the hardest things you would be asking the Element to do. Especially so if you have a fwd Element. Of course if you have experience with towing boats you would already know this.

paulj

·
Registered
645 Posts
I can just see the pictures now, of just the Element's roof sticking up from underneath the lake...

:shock:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just asking for "Real Life" experience. My wife has a PT Cruiser that is rated for 1000 LB, but regularly pulls 1400 lb with no problem. PT Cruiser users report pulling 1800 lb with ease. Probably due to the gearing of the car. I know that the Elemnt is "rated" for 1500 lb. I am considering buying a 5 Speed AWD Element. I was hoping to hear of users experience with towing. I have a fair amount of experienc pulling boats and trailers of ALL sizes. I also know that the manufacturer frequently specifies a lower limit for a cars capacity. They assume that the machine will be used at that capacity ALL the time. I am talking about pulling a boat MAYBE 20 miles a week. :shock:

Any REAL experience with this?

Sal

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
if you do a little searching, you will find more answers

i seem to recall someone around chicago towed 3000 lbs while moving

someone else a 2000lb travel trailer through the mountains.

of course trailer brakes will help a lot. and low angled boat ramps!

·
MØÐΣ®ΔTΩ®
3,749 Posts
No real experience with the Element yet, but for years I have generally followed the unwritten rule of the trailer being no more than 2/3 the weight of the tow vehicle. I have followed this for a long time with other vehicles and haven't had any trouble...and I'll eventually continue the trend this coming Summer with my Element.

My title shows a weight of 3428#, and 2/3 of that would be 2262#...so I'll have no trouble pulling a 1700# VW Beetle or an even lighter dune buggy around.:)

*your results may vary...this guideline is just that*

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
I regularly tow a pop up camper that runs around 1500lbs and up to 1700lbs wheb packed for a VERY long trip. I also tow my jet ski to the lake at least once a week and it weighs in around 1400lbs. I live in the mountains in WV and have had no trouble towing either and never felt like I was in danger with them otherwise I wouldnt do it. I am very comfortable with towing a trailer because I have done it so often for so long, but I think if your new to trailering perhaps you should start out with something smaller. The key is to remember your towing and keep a LONG following distance and stay alert.

·
Registered
193 Posts
BriBoy01 said:
I regularly tow a pop up camper that runs around 1500lbs and up to 1700lbs wheb packed for a VERY long trip. I also tow my jet ski to the lake at least once a week and it weighs in around 1400lbs. I live in the mountains in WV and have had no trouble towing either and never felt like I was in danger with them otherwise I wouldnt do it. I am very comfortable with towing a trailer because I have done it so often for so long, but I think if your new to trailering perhaps you should start out with something smaller. The key is to remember your towing and keep a LONG following distance and stay alert.
I'm glad to have seen your post. I was 99% sure that the Element would have no problems towing this weight (given that the max load capacity is 1500lbs) . I'll be towing a tent trailer this summer and when the numbers didn't fit, the nervousness kicked in. Thanks for the reassurance. :)

GT

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
jml said:
I'm looking for a trailer for occasional use. The lowest price I have come across are assemble yourself products from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40597
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42709
Anyone have experience or thoughts on these?
Thanks, joel
Hi Joel,

I have one. Assembly was easy, built my own sides. I use it for firewood and to haul my motorcycle.

Only problem was getting it street legal in Pa. I had to jump through quite a few hoops since they come shipped as kits. Pa. has some strict rules about getting kits registered. Also, Harbor Freight never signed or notarized the certificate of origin (which is required in Pa. to transfer title).

Luckily there's a harbor freight nearby and I was able to get the manager there to do it. Then I had to wait 3 weeks to get the title and registration.

Once all that was done it was fine. Nice little trailer, light enough to move by hand and easy to tow with the E. Can't beat the price either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How big is the box for the Harbour Freight trailers?

Will I need to borrow a pickup?

Maybe I could assemble it in the store's parking lot and tow it home?

·
Registered
499 Posts
benny429 said:
How big is the box for the Harbour Freight trailers?

Will I need to borrow a pickup?

Maybe I could assemble it in the store's parking lot and tow it home?
2 Boxes and they fit in the E if you put the rear seats up. The assembly is easy but it may take you a few hours. Lots of bolts and some wiring.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I towed my Pinewood Derby track to the race yesterday on my 5X8 trailer....later that afternoon, I towed my uncle's tow dolly home with the E. I have not tried the E with a car on the dolly and I doubt I will...but maybe :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Budman said:
2 Boxes and they fit in the E if you put the rear seats up. The assembly is easy but it may take you a few hours. Lots of bolts and some wiring.
Thanks, I plan on getting one. I like the Harbor Freight store, mostly cheap tools but I always go home with something.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Budman & Trickyvick, Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them. It makes me feel better about a bolted together trailer.

I'm thinking about one of the hinged folding versions so it takes up less space when stored. Has any one tried a "folder"?

(For anyone else thinking about the kits who did not look at the online assembly manuals, the kits include clamps to build side rails all arround the trailer. I think I'll use door hinges with removable pins in the corners, to permit easier disassembly.)

joel

1 - 20 of 82 Posts