Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going from home in Akron to the western Natn'l Pks this summer! '11 EX pulling our Little Guy across 8-10k miles of our country. So, any recommendations for a hefty transmission cooler? Any other advice as far as outfitting the mechanicals? We'll keep our speed at 60mph (or wherever the tranny seems to feel most comfortable pulling 1,000lbs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We're going from home in Akron to the western Natn'l Pks this summer! '11 EX pulling our Little Guy across 8-10k miles of our country. So, any recommendations for a hefty transmission cooler? Any other advice as far as outfitting the mechanicals? We'll keep our speed at 60mph (or wherever the tranny seems to feel most comfortable pulling 1,000lbs.
We tow a 1,500 lb. popup with our 2005 Element (auto trans.). I installed the Hayden 678 ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-678-Rapid-Cool-Transmission/dp/B000C3DDKO/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Honda%7C59&Model=Element%7C925&Year=2005%7C2005&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]). Installation was very straightforward, though you do have to remove the front bumper/grill but it's not as hard as it sounds.

I don't have a gauge to monitor transmission temperature but we have towed from L.A. to Bryce Canyon as well as L.A. to Sequoia National Park, both of which entail significant hill climbs. The Element pulled like a champ and my transmission shifts as good as ever. I wouldn't worry too much, especially since your trailer is so light. Do install the cooler though, and I HIGHLY recommend installing a Prodigy brake controller if your trailer has brakes. Change your transmission fluid before your trip if it's getting old as well.

Some important advice I can give: Drive 55 mph -- not only does it help your MPG (towing at 55 mph gave me similar MPG to driving without a trailer at 65 - 70 mph), but your trailer will track better. The only time I've ever had any sort of fishtailing experience is when I got up around 65. It's just not worth it. And most importantly, when driving up long grades, monitor your RPM, not your speed. Just get over to the slow lane and keep your rpm no higher than 3500. You might end up crawling along at 38 mph but you'll get to the top in one piece just a few minutes later and your transmission won't be screaming like if you were trying to maintain 55 mph. And try to time going up big grades to cooler hours if possible.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Swaying at higher speeds is usually caused by not enough weight on the tongue or a poorly designed axle location. I'm sure Little Guy has made enough trailers to have the location down pat so you should watch your loading. Oh, and there's a reason most small trailer tires are bias ply. Radial tires are less forgiving on bad loading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts