Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda service just told me that my tranny fluid was nearing black and they wanted $220 to take care of it. Same story with the PS fluid ($90). This is a 2007 w/ 41K on it.

I called my local Penzoil shop and they want $130 for the tranny fluid change and they have a sale on PS fluid change @ $35.

Any reason I should be concerned about the Penzoil service? I've had them doing the oil and tire rotations on our Sienna for a few years now, but I've yet to have them work on the Element.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 07 EX with 42000 or so and I did my tranny fluid myself, was not black at all, it's not hard to do it yourself. I think thair is a good right up someware hear about it. Basicly a drain and fill will be good but I wanted all my fluids changed so you do a drain and fill, DRIVE your car (don't just start it ) for a few mils, drain and fill again ( be carfull the fluid is hot) and repete. I did ming 4 times and felt that was good..Good luck and by the way Honda does NOT recomend a system flush..just a drain and fill and repete.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The drain and fill (3-4 times) is the way to go. I'll add one step - get a 1 gallon plastic jug and mark it off in 1/2 quart increments with a marker. Drain your fluid into a pan then pour it into the jug and it will show you how much fluid you need to add back in before driving off. Overfilling with tranny fluid is not good. Make sure your fluid level is correct before starting this procedure. My E was certified when I got it and the dealership already did this about 1,000 miles ago (45,000 mi.) so I haven't drained the trans fluid in it yet. My experiece doing this was with our Odyssey (the E's cousin :)) when it hit 60,000 miles. Same method - drain, fill, drive repeat (3 times) etc. Oh, I bought my trans fluid from H and A - 12 qts.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have 58k on my 2008 E and was gona change it for the first time at 60k. I just looked at it and it is not black. You might want to look at it yourself. Also there is a very good "how to" on this site. It seems easy enough to do yourself.

·
12,179 Posts
Take it to who ever makes you feel confortable doing the work.

But make sure you do one thing. Have them use Honda fluids only. Don't let them give you the we only use Honda Approved Fluids line. ATf and PS fluid are two ares you don't want to take chances with.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
One more thing. I have never never ever changed the power steering fluid in any care I have ever owned. It just doesn't need it. And I routinely put 200k to 300k on every car I've owned without a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Thanks for all the input. I'll get under the hood and look at the fluids myself.

The Penzoil guys said something about inserting a tube and using a machine to suck out the fluid. Sounded like a decent system, if it works.

·
12,179 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I'll get under the hood and look at the fluids myself.

The Penzoil guys said something about inserting a tube and using a machine to suck out the fluid. Sounded like a decent system, if it works.
This is pretty much how the PS fluid is changed. It is done while the engine is running so the old fluid gets sucked out.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
If this is how they plan to change fluid in your tranny.....go somewhere else. There is a drain plug for a reason. The AT fluid change is very easy, easier than an oil change in fact. The only real "trick" is to use Honda fluid.

The PS fluid isn't as big a deal, but it is prolly better to change it if you plan on keeping the E a long time and want to maxamize it's service life and minimize service/repair/replacement costs. Suctioning it out is is perfectly acceptable.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts