Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda Element 2004, the pipe for ATF from radiator was broken.

When trying to change the ATF transmission filter, the pipe coming out form bottom of radiator was broken, because of lot of rust.
My question is: Can I use an aftermarket transmission cooler to replace (bypass) the existent cooler?
On my Element, the transmission cooler is at the bottom side of the main cooler radiator. My idea is to add an external transmission radiator and bypass the existent radiator. I need to tow my popup camping trailer, temporary for this summer.
I notice at the bottom of the radiator is the temperature sensor. If bypassing the ATF cooler, will that sensor still work? Is the sensor for providing temperature for main cooler or both (ATF and antifreeze)?

Appreciate your answers,
Christian

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That temp sensor is an engine coolant temperature (ECT) so should not be affected by bypassing the ATF cooler with an aftermarket. I think you should be good to go.
Thanks for your reply. One more question:
I will install the new ATF cooler (aftermarket) in front of the existent cooler(I have enough room)
The question is: The new ATF cooler (aftermarket) should be installed "glued" to existent cooler or leave some room between them? As location, should be installed up, down, left right?

Thanks so much for your answer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts