Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 EX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. My 2005 EX automatic was overloaded/overweight on several occasions. Lots of oak firewood, if you must know. it burns nicely but gosh that was an expensive mistake.

primary symptom: when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, the engine revs about 1000rpm and then slams into 3rd gear. other symptoms include an intermittent reluctance to shift into overdrive and effectively going into neutral if I shift from “2” to “D”

Honda dealer wants as much as the car is worth to put in a remanufactued transmission. I see options like buying a transmission from a junkyard, swapping my trans out and then rebuilding the original one, someone said something about rebuilding the gears, another post talked about a solenoid or sensors but I think my problem is beyond a component.

Any thoughts on what needs to be done? I really want to keep my Element and I’m flexible on the solution (I have another car, no rush) but I need advice on how to move forward.

Thank you,
HT8

PS/ETA: does the fact that I overloaded the car multiple times point me in any direction?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,457 Posts
What did the dealer specifically say is wrong with the transmission? I hate when they simply say "You need a transmission" without telling you specifically why. The solenoids control the shifting, so I'd do some more troubleshooting before condemning the whole transmission. If it came down to it, I would try to find a good used one, swap it, then (as you suggest) learn to rebuild the old one so I had another spare if necessary (of course, we have three Es in the family so having a spare around makes a little more sense). The best tool you can own is a factory service manual.

·
Registered
2005 EX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. The dealer didn't give any specifics. Time to get a service manual; up until now haven't needed one!

ETA: does the fact that I overloaded the car multiple times point me in any direction?

HT8

1 - 3 of 3 Posts