Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed transmission fluid leaking on to my garage floor. Looked under the Element and noticed it seems to be coming from the top edge of the tyransmission, dripping around the abs electrical connector then dripping on to the cv boot and on to the floor. Both sides, dripping off the cv boot. Puddles about the size of a egg. Any suggestions. Its been -40C here, middle of Saskatchewan Canada.

Checked tranny fluid and its right at the top of the xxed section of the dipstick. Mind you its lost a bit because the dipstick was showing a quarter of an inch above the xxed this summer. I filled it a bit too much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My wife had gone to a funeral out of town on Mon 14th. I got a quick oil change at Walmart. Too darn cold to do it myself even tho I have a 45,000btu heater in the garage, would have taken forever to warm up the garage, -39C, with a -49C wind chill. I noticed the leak just before she left and decided to let her go so I couldn't do anything until she got back. Her son was at the farm, he's a pretty good mechanic so I made sure he was watching the fluid level. She finally got back today at noon and it warmed up to -10C so I put it in the garage and started looking under the E. The leak on the pass side was from the oil change done at Walmart, duh (from changing the filter). Looked under the E and checked the drive shafts where they enter the diff. No leak, took out the battery and the resonator to see where it was leaking. It was damp right where the brake line enters the wheel well, thought it was a leaking brake line, looked some more and noticed some dampness in the trans mount. My buddy stuck his finger under the trans mount and it was damp/wet. Finally found the source, the end cover of the trans, but it wasn't leaking any more because the fluid was near the full mark, about the same as when she left.

I have the original auto trans from the E that was swapped out (this E was a writeoff that I rebuilt and the mount on the torque convertor housing was cracked, it was cheaper to buy the whole trans) and I looked at the end cover on that trans and noticed small red streaks running down from the end cover bolts. Looked at my Alldata service database and no service bulletins but there is a service and repair procedure for servicing the end cover. Well it was quite an involved procedure so decided to get some Lucas trans fluid sealer, drained 12oz out of the trans and threw in 12oz Lucas, will see if that helps stop the leak even tho its hardly leaking now. Looks like it only leaked when it was -39. First time I've noticed big drops of trans fluid on my garage floor.

I did notice a bit of a leak from the rubber line that runs from the metal pipe at the front of the trans to the rad. The rubber line had a clamp where it meets the rad but not where it meets the metal pipe so I put screw clamps at both end of the rubber hose. As well looked around the dipstick and breather tube and no fluid or dampness, the casting ribs would have collected anything that spilled out of the breather.

This morning looked under the E and no drops of trans fluid, after topping up with the Lucas last nite took it for a drive on the highway and then parked it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.