Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a trans flush different than a drain and refill, is a flush ok to do after 60000 miles?

The dealer wants $125 to flush and fill........local garage will do it for $50, just drain and fill I guess.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Honda does not recommend flushing your tranny. My dealer says a 3 qt drain and fill is all that's needed. They charged me 70 bux.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is no way your local mechanic can do it with genuine honda fluid for $50. Only use Honda genuine ATF in your transmission.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It looks like something I can do myself, just drain some and add some? Is it that simple? How much could the fluid cost?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes its that simple, you need a 3/8 socket and drain pan. You should replace the crush washer when you do it which runs about $1. I bought fluid from a dealer and it was about $6 a quart. You need 4 for a simple drain and fill but you can do that several times to get a majority of the fluid out. Don't use any other fluid then honda atf-z1, it may cause you problems. If you search the forums there is a nice step by step procedure done.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So for a drain and fill buy 4 qts from Honda and a crush washer........and how many qts if I want to try to replace all the fluid w/multiple drain and fill.....how would I do that? Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've used z1 once and amsoil atf the last 2 times. The amsoil is much smoother and dosent crash when ****ing from park to reverse or drive in the morning the way z1 did. I really think amsoil is far better than the z1. If you wanted to use something else I have heard that the castrol import atf is good as well. Changing the atf is easyer than changing the oil so go for it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ryland,

Consider adding an HFM additive to the amzoil. You may not thank me now but you will later :cool:.

I've found if you have an HFM additive you can use just about any ATF for imports but my Honda Dealer gives me discount pricing around $4.19 a quart with a free crush washer. You would be amazed how many dealers will "do you better on pricing" if you just ask.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tranny flush

What I do is put a funnel in trans and have 12 quarts honda atf. then I have a 5 gallon clear painters bucket with measure marks 1/2 gal increments. (home depot $3.50) then you need some 3/8 clear tubing about 2ft. then what I do is take one side of the filter hose off and hook the clear tubing you bought to the filter (make sure its the exit side). then i put the clear hose in the bucket start the car and as it's pumping I pour clean fluid in to the fill funnel. If you start getting more than 1/2 gallon behind just stop the car and catch up. You want to pump out 3 gallons and you will see bright red fresh fluid coming out:) I am a certified honda master tech since 1990 is so ca. if you don't want to hassle changing the filter just take the bottom trans line off the radiator as this is the return line and do the same thing. Hope this helps this is my first post.I will be doing mine again real soon so I will take pics or video if any one ask. Do yourself a favor and change the fluid!!! once it's flushed out then you can do drain and fill every 15-30000 depending how rough you are on the E. Oh make sure to check the fluid level when all done. A rule of thumb is every 60000 and your trans will last for ever.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I called the local jiffy lube and discussed the drain and fill or flush option. They insist that the technology has changed and the flush is safe. I have 120k on my 06 and I'm starting to feel the low speed shudder, especially on hills. Any updated opinions on the flush?

I'm sure tempted to try the drain and fill myself. Also, is Honda ATF still recommended? If so, I'm assuming I could purchase from Honda and take it to the mechanic.

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to have my transmission rebuilt for ovwr $3k becauae of this stupid flush.
The Mechanic and manager both told me that in the first shop they ruined my car by pmm use wrong fluid and also flush and also use air to blast and ruin the sensors.
Flush is never recommended.
Manager says he only allows hia mechanics to drain and fill.
The second problem was wrong fluid.
Only the Honda fluid is recommended.
So first shop ruined my car but I have no proof that they put wrong fluid.
Live and learn.
Nobody will touch my tranny again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had to have my transmission rebuilt for ovwr $3k becauae of this stupid flush.
The Mechanic and manager both told me that in the first shop they ruined my car by pmm use wrong fluid and also flush and also use air to blast and ruin the sensors.
Flush is never recommended.
Manager says he only allows hia mechanics to drain and fill.
The second problem was wrong fluid.
Only the Honda fluid is recommended.
So first shop ruined my car but I have no proof that they put wrong fluid.
Live and learn.
Nobody will touch my tranny again.
Terrible. Sorry for the bad luck but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Transmission flush

For the last 20 years or so I have always done a flush by draining the fluid via the line going to the cooler/radiator. At one point I had made my own contraption to pump fluid back into the return line so as to not starve the tranny of fluid - it was a stainless steel fire extinguisher with a schrader valve that allowed me to pressurize it with shop air.

I think I gave the fire extinguisher to someone to fill the hydraulic oil in his truck and I have not used that ever since. I could hook up a funnel to the hood of the vehicle and run a clean piece of transmission line to the return (I have done that in the past), but I mostly just run the engine and let the fluid drain into a container and refill. I usually go through the gears before I drain the fluid out, and I always make sure the engine is warm enough so it does not go into fast idle - both for tranny and power steering flushes.Now, I have done this twice on my own 2003 Element first with Amalie synthetic ATF and shortly after with Honda ATF. I never had a problem and I drove that 2003 Element long distances - over 2K miles round trip a couple of times.

That 4WD Element got totaled when someone rear-ended me and I now have a 2003 EX 2WD and a 2007 EX 2WD. I just love the 2007 with it's extra power and extra gear along with the other additions/refinements. I was going to do the usual flush on it but decided to do a drain and refill instead - I did not have a case of Honda ATF at that moment. I did however add a little TransX to the transmission as I do have the shudder at 30mph. I am going to do another drain and refill soon and eventually will change the filter as well.

Like I said earlier, ordinarily I would have done a flush as usual, but since I like this 2007 model so much, I am going to stick to what is recommended. I am attaching fluid diagrams of the transmission in P and N and was wondering if there is a reader who is well versed with transmissions who could tell us if it is safe to do the DIY flush this way, or will it be starving the tranny of fluid and possibly do a little bit of damage.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts