Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2009 E started the shuddering transmission deal about a year ago. I flushed the fluid, it all went away until last month. Runs and shifts smooth as silk until it warms up some. Shifting seems good up until about 40-50 mph. Audible roar (sounds like a hum / helicopter) and does not want to go into the next gear - vibrating steering wheel. I can shift it into neutral to coast and the problem persists, no difference. Would it still be the tranny/torque converter in neutral? No warning lights on the dash, no flashing D.

It doesn't happen all the time, but has become much more frequent. It has been well maintained and we'd like to get it fixed. Right at 175k on the clock.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So upon further inspection, I'm pretty sure this is brake caliper / wheel bearing / or balance related. I pulled in last night and the drivers side front wheel had some serious heat coming from that side. Same odor. Passenger side was cool. I also remember it started after a tire rotation. Any suggestions on where to start?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Brakes are the 1st step, theyll have to come off to fix any further issues.
However try to rock the tire as you lift the car. Bearings.
Once you get the wheel off, you'd likely see inside, or outside pad with extra wear. Slider pins/bad calipers.
Driver side with more wear than passenger, bad caliper.
How old are the rotors, obvious warp? It would look like smearing on the disc, as pads are only grabbing on the high spots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brakes are the 1st step, theyll have to come off to fix any further issues.
However try to rock the tire as you lift the car. Bearings.
Once you get the wheel off, you'd likely see inside, or outside pad with extra wear. Slider pins/bad calipers.
Driver side with more wear than passenger, bad caliper.
How old are the rotors, obvious warp? It would look like smearing on the disc, as pads are only grabbing on the high spots.
Thanks so much! It was a bad caliper on the driver's side. Pad had much more wear than the passenger. I've got a new set of calipers, rotors and pads ordered. Sooo glad it wasn't a tranny issue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lube the hell out of those slider pins, and dont get the top and bottoms mixed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts