Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey all, So I finally got around to replacing my broken transmission mount. This is a step by step installation. So first Order the Part! I called and asked about how much they would charge me to do the install, I got $80-$300 depending on who was talking. The part Is a little over $70.

What you'll need:
Jack
Socket set (With extensions)
Screw Driver
Awsome Girlfriend to document
Te Amo Ale ;)

This is the mount we will be replacing:

Step 1: Remove airbox or Air intake and Battery and Battery tray (wont be able to get the through bolt out)

Step 2: Start by Disconnecting the transmission from the mount by taking the Bolt that goes through the mount. (IMPORTANT!!!! Make sure you jack up the transmission first!, for this mount raise it from the most front area you can.)

Step 3: Unbolt Old mount

Step 4: Admire the difference

Step 5: bolt new mount to frame. and Attach Transmission to new mount.

I immediately felt better gear engagement, Less shake and more fluid power.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
gee, that's a horrible mount design. so the bolt just ripped itself from the rubber mount huh.

did the thump go away?

man looks like the prev owner was a N dropper(rev in N and drop it to D) or 1st gear thrasher. Or maybe that was you.lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes So when engaging it into drive you'd hear a loud clunk and the car would shake. Than if you accelerated quickly You'd hear something like a grinding noise but it wasn't grinding but the transmission bouncing of the mount. Ive done 300 miles so far and it is SO much better. Better response, less vibration, and what seems like more power but I think is more even power from start to finish. Rymo was nice enough to point it out at the marina meet. When we engaged it into Drive, the transmission wound leap back. It was quite obvious than.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks, these broken transmission and engine mount threads always make me want to check right away.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest EVERYBODY check them. Rymo spotted it. The DEALER MISSED IT TWICE!!!!:evil::evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Were you able to see that it was broken before you removed it? From above or below?
Can you see the torn rubber w/ an inspection mirror?

Thanks... TJR

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just looked at mine.. Nothing obvious looks broken, but I have clunking sound going over bump and a engine/transmission sounding vibration when holding the brakes on while in reverse, but it stopes if I lift up on the brake pedal and allow it to move reward, comes back when I het the brakes again. Some thig seems to be rubbing somewhere under.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just crawled under and found the 2 other lower mounts as well
Nothing obvious looks broken, but I have clunking sound going over bump and a engine/transmission sounding vibration when holding the brakes on while in reverse at idle, but it stops if I lift up on the brake pedal and allow it to move reward, comes back when I hit the brakes again. Something seems to be rubbing somewhere under there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A very similar design to the right side engine mount in my 03 Odyssey that I recently replaced. All the rubber had cracked around the “eye” just like yours. The front engine mount on the Ody was what prompted me to do both the replacements… it was completely TRASHED. Rather expensive OEM part too…

·
Registered
34 Posts
I finally had some daylight to poke around under the hood to see if I could isolate the "rub" or rattle before I bring the car back into the dealer.

here is one problem I found that could explain some of the accel and reverse drive rattle.

http://picasaweb.google.com/88seriesiii/2003ElementEX#

It also looks like this the drivers side mount has possibly shifted too?

Now if I could isolate the clunk clunk in the rear susp.
I also think I need a left front wheel Brg.. There's a low drone growl and can hear some brake rub when turning right.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
pic no workie.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TjR,
My man, That passenger side engine mount bolt I would guess is If the not the problem, a very contributing factor. and as far as your transmission mount it does appear to of been almost strected on that from bolt. It was extremly hard to pinpoint on mine. Heres what you can do... Get a friend, wife, dog whatever to In-gauge the engine from Neutral to Drive. If it is broken the transmission should move dirastically and IT will be pretty obvious than. Good look.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the broken bolt replaced at the dealer.. ( I could have done it, but it was covered). All accel and idle noises are gone. The side to side steering wheel vibration is also gone.

Also had rear sway links and bushings replaced. Rear Clunk Clunk is gone too.. It feels like a new ride!

...TJR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lower Motor Mount fixed vibration

I had a vibration upon initial acceleration that I fixed today by replacing the lower motor mount (aka, "Front Engine Stopper," part number 50840-SCV-A81). The rubber was completely ripped through. Now on to the upper left one that, while not causing an annoying vibration, does appear to be cracked.

thanks for the useful photos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
transmission mounts

What the Manufacturer Number for 2006 Honda Element EX-P transmission mounts and where I can find these parts in good price?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts