Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i plan on adding a trans oil cooler.

but i want to install it after the factory cooler.. that way if for whatever reason the oil temp is hotter than the engine water temp, the aftermarket cooler can have that much more time to cool before entering the transmission again.

which way? red line>filter>radiator>yellow line...
or... yellow line>radiator>filter>red line..

Gunna install one of these.. :D 24" of aluminum hotness!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'm not 100% certain, but I believe....

the line with the filter (in RED) is FROM the trans to the cooler.

The line you have maked in YELLOW would be the return line to the trans.

·
Registered
394 Posts

I did the same here. I purchased a Transcooler/Fan - wouldn't fit tho just not enough room. So went with a TCI trans cooler/universal mount kit. Paid about $100.? I did use the OEM trans filter route. The E rides better with it when I tow, plus I know that I'm not burning up the trans doing it. I see different temp reading from coolant/trans oil. Good improvement, but I see that you have one of those pretty trans coolers tho.
Cecil....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

that make sense.. i would think they would use the filter/magnet before it enters the cooler, in case any contaminate/metals are present, it doesn't clog the factory cooler.

i plan on installing the inline cooler, another fluid case drain, and then replace the filter again..

and, this time.. i wouldn't mind cutting open the filter and seeing what exactly is in there.. filter media? a magnet? anything? lol

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see different temp reading from coolant/trans oil.
how are you checking your water, and trans temp? gauges? i dont' trust the factory water gauge at all.. i installed a 2 1/16th autometer water temp gauge, and its great... i know exactly when the fans come on, the thermostat opens.. everything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
getting trans fluid TOO COLD and 'stacked-plate' versus 'tube/fin' coolers...

i found this about using after-market transmission coolers in very cold weather:

If ambient air temperature is extremely cold and a transmission cooler is plumbed so the trans fluid enters it after the OEM cooler in the radiator, the cooler may actually overcool the fluid.

is it possible to get the trans fluid too cold? also, does anyone have any opinions about 'stacked plate' coolers versus tube/fin coolers?

·
Registered
174 Posts
It certainly is, on many transmissions you do not obtain converter lock up until the fluid reaches operating temp. Most OBD II systems monitor the TFT for ecu control of shift patterns etc. I cannot speak about the E specifically, mine a 4 speed does not seem to have a lock up maybe the newer ones do.
It would be easy to add a bypass to allow you to cutout the cooler with three valves and a piece of hose.

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
trans cooler with bypass?

Chris,

can you go into a little more detail on how to make a bypass?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts