Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little back round to start off: I bought my 2nd E, a certified used 2007 EX AWD auto in Feb 2011. Generally a trouble free vehicle, but I did have the torque converter replaced under warranty at the dealer in June 2011 due to the much discussed clutch lock up problem. It has driven great up until last week.

Here's the problem which started about a week ago. After sitting all night, the first 1-2 shift upon driving results in excessive flare (like it hangs between gears like its in neutral). The second and all subsequent 1-2 shifts are much better and there is no slippage noticeable once it has been driven a short distance. The fluid level is fine, and the color is good. There are no codes stored or flashing "D".

I took it in to the dealer yesterday since it is still under warranty and the tech took it on 4 different test drives but could not duplicate the problem. Today upon leaving my house for the first trip of the day the slippage returned on the first 1-2 shift so I stopped back at the dealer and took the tech for a ride however, you guessed it, the transmission shifted fine. The current plan is to leave it there overnight and let the tech drive it in the morning with his monitoring equipment plugged in just in case a code is put out.

Just wondering if any of you have an idea what could be causing this. The tech said a shift solenoid would probably malfunction more then just the first 1-2 shift of the day and that pump problems would be present at all times.

Any thoughts????? Outside temp was in 20's when it started but was in 50's when it did it today ........... :060:

·
Registered
18 Posts
A little back round to start off: I bought my 2nd E, a certified used 2007 EX AWD auto in Feb 2011. Generally a trouble free vehicle, but I did have the torque converter replaced under warranty at the dealer in June 2011 due to the much discussed clutch lock up problem. It has driven great up until last week.

Here's the problem which started about a week ago. After sitting all night, the first 1-2 shift upon driving results in excessive flare (like it hangs between gears like its in neutral). The second and all subsequent 1-2 shifts are much better and there is no slippage noticeable once it has been driven a short distance. The fluid level is fine, and the color is good. There are no codes stored or flashing "D".

I took it in to the dealer yesterday since it is still under warranty and the tech took it on 4 different test drives but could not duplicate the problem. Today upon leaving my house for the first trip of the day the slippage returned on the first 1-2 shift so I stopped back at the dealer and took the tech for a ride however, you guessed it, the transmission shifted fine. The current plan is to leave it there overnight and let the tech drive it in the morning with his monitoring equipment plugged in just in case a code is put out.

Just wondering if any of you have an idea what could be causing this. The tech said a shift solenoid would probably malfunction more then just the first 1-2 shift of the day and that pump problems would be present at all times.

Any thoughts????? Outside temp was in 20's when it started but was in 50's when it did it today ........... :060:

Same exact problem with mine, lately. Unfortunately, this post is five years old.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the problem is that it's cold. The fluid isn't going to flow as well when it's very cold. Let the car warm up and idle for a few minutes before taking off and see if it still has this issue. You may want to do a drain and fill on your transmission fluid if you haven't done so in the past year. I've heard the new Honda ATF DW-1 fluid doesn't perform as well in cold climates as the old discontinued Z1 ATF, but its the only stuff available now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts