Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new auto EX with 60 miles on it. I notice that when it dtops into overdrive, there's a pronounced whine under load (i.e. with the engine pushing rather than coasting) at around 38 through 48 mph. I don;t think the demonstrator did this.

Anyone else notice it? It's on eof those things that's annoying enough to bug me, but probably not enough to bug a service guy...

Thanks all

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dropped into teh dealer and re-test drove a DX, which had no noise. The dealer suggested waiting til the car had done 1000 miles and then taking it into service if it's still whining...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Fred,

Thanks for the update. I have been trying to hear what you hear in my E when I drive, but have not yet. I will keep listening, but in the meantime, please let us know what your dealer says after your 1000 miles.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have about 1300 miles on mine-no whine! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's definitley the transmission and not me that's whining, by the way. This is proving to be the best car decision I've made to-date.

Still whining -- sounds like what in the old days we might have called the final drive. First I thought it was my ears..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have not experienced a whine yet but I haven't had the car long at all. I have a basic distrust of dealers, though I am sure some dealers are straight shooters. (actually, my wife has a Benz and that company goes way beyond the call of duty in addressing problems). I would call Honda directly and ask. I had a Montero and when I had an issue I had to get the parent company to call the local dealer to get the dealer to do something. Don't mean to sound negative and maybe your noise is normal but "wait for a 1000 miles and see what happens" sounds sort of hokey to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I thought I'd wait a bit anyway and see what else falls off etc. since I usually break out in a rash after visiting a dealer -- get it all done at once.

It's certainly annoying, though not loud -- the sort of sound you have in your ears as you leave a rock concert! Sadly, I don;t think there will be anything they can do about it -- I'm sure teh transmission is 'within tolerance', and it doesn;t impact safety or performance.

So far, the rest of the car is solid as a rock -- everything works at least as well as you'd expect it to. No bumps, rattles, leaks, or 'why did they do that's. This car, and my IBM lpatop, I am happy with -- almost all my other stuff disappoints...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have about 250 miles on my E and I don't hear the whine. I'll tell ya though... Ihave been listening really hard for it after reading this!!! :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know much about cars, but what exactly does overdrive do? and how do you use it? i read the manual...but not quite get what it said.

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote:6c2810a006="bubble709"]I don't know much about cars, but what exactly does overdrive do? and how do you use it? i read the manual...but not quite get what it said.[/quote:6c2810a006]

OD is a gear that I can only describe as a "cruising" gear ...mostly to get the max out of your mpg...uhmm like an auto pilot..... :?: ....you use the gear when you are planning on driving mostly on the highway and mostly on the right lane or middle lane..... :roll: ( not a passing gear....or a towing gear....or even more an up hill gear..)

I hope I helped.......... 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts