Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting a better sound and perhaps some gain in performance, I recently got a Gibson catback exhaust- unfortunately I misread the fine print on the supplier's website and read "FWD" as "four wheel drive." Come to find out, Gibson doesn't make a catback for the 4WD E, as many of you already know.

I was freaked out until a couple of folks here told me it was no big deal to modify to fit the 4WD- one guy has apparently actually installed a Gibson on his 4WD with no modification whatsoever.

So- after about 8 hours over the course of two days wallowing around on the driveway under my E, I could not get the tailpipe on. I'm not a quitter, but sometimes you just gotta quit banging your head against the wall, so to speak. Plus I am too old and beat-up for all that crawling around on the ground business, at least for long periods of time.

So this A.M. I drove to a local muffler shop and explained the situation. After the guy took a look at the system he said the best thing I could do would be to send it back and get the right one. I explained that there WAS no "right one" unless I wanted to spend way more money and get an Injen. He said that basically to get the muffler to fit right(it was hanging way too low) he'd have to cut off the heat shield under the vehicle, and that the Gibson tailpipe was basically unusable. So long story short, he cut off the heat shield, fabricated a tailpipe, put the Gibson tip on, and a hundred bucks and 40 minutes later I was on the road. It looks fine and sounds good- pretty loud under hard acceleration but quiet at idle- at 70 MPH/3000 RPMs there is no trace of the dreaded drone. So except for the fact I basically flushed a good bit of money down the toilet I'm happy.

I asked the muffler shop guy how much a similar system would have cost me if they did it from scratch. He said he'd have to special-order that particular muffler but all together it would run me less than $200.00

So I learned not to be so compulsive, and to read the fine print, and not to hear what I want to hear rather than what I NEED to hear.

Like they say- "too soon old, too late smart."

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, not as I understand the term- there IS a very faint hummm- I mean you can hear the exhaust but just barely. Now when I drove it to the shop this A.M. with no tailpipe, there was an UNGODLY low-frequency droning at 50-60MPH. I'm glad THAT went away.

·
Registered
556 Posts
they sell a gibson on ebay that fits the 4wd because it is a side swept exhaust just comes out under the rear passenger door so it doest have to go around all the crap in the back of the 4wd e.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd seen those but I figured it would still have to go up and over the suspension- I assumed it would come out more behind the back tire- the passenger door is further forward than I'd have guessed. Well, live and learn.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, mine is a done deal anyway. It's all welded up and everything. I just wonder why Gibson doesn't go ahead and make one for the 4WD E. But like I said earlier- next time I'm gonna just have this shop build me something. My little DIY project cost me about $300.00 more than if I'd just had them put one on.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well, mine is a done deal anyway. It's all welded up and everything. I just wonder why Gibson doesn't go ahead and make one for the 4WD E. But like I said earlier- next time I'm gonna just have this shop build me something. My little DIY project cost me about $300.00 more than if I'd just had them put one on.
Local shops can work wonders- I wanted a performance CAT back system on my '02 Silverado. Most single pipe 2.5 inch systems are $300-$400.Stock factory pipe is 2.5 inches. Local shop- AP VX series muffler, short pipe to fit it to the OEM tailpipe, clamps - out the door with great sound and much better part throttle performance $125.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I know that now....I coulda told these guys what I was looking to do and they'd have hooked me up. But it's all good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts