Honda Element Owners Club banner

Tricked out ECamper

23K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  JSm00thJaZ3 
#1 ·
Here's a Element we just finished last week with a little more customizing - full wrap with 3M reflective graphics, plus the pop top & rack mounts & trailer hitch for the rest of the gear. Owned by some pro adventure racers we've known for a long time, might not believe it but their E is heading toward the 100K on the odometer soon!

If anyone is in LA over Thanksgiving, this E will be in the LA Auto Show - I'll add a thread in the event section with where to find us!

cheers,
John

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What a cool rig!!! I see you enhanced the tent portion from the original design... Very nice!!!

#4 ·
WHITE...........another color the Element should have come in.

I also would like to see pictures of the inside.

You do nice work!

#5 ·
Very, very nice. I especially like the firm's logo as a watermark on the side doors instead of full color. Nice, nice graphics, awesome looking pop-up.

Congrats! -g

#8 ·
Dude! Two questions. How much for the pop-top and how involved is the conversion? Looks like it's ready for Dakar!:D

#14 ·
Think of adventure racing as an off road triathlon, usually involving trail running/kayaking/mountain biking instead of the normal run/swim/road biking. They also have "challenges" along the course like rappelling down a cliff. One I did a few years back had rappelling and another where you had to completely remove a bike tube, hold it up, and show the official otherwise you were penalized like 15 mins of time.
Of course the hard core adventure challenges require mountaineering skills and a whole slew of other stuff not required in the dinky amateur ones I've done.

#15 ·
Thanks! The owners of this E are professional adventure racers Paul Romero and Karen Lundgren of Team Sole sponsored by Sole Footbeds, with several other outdoor gear companies also in the mix for bikes/boats/packs and everything else needed to compete in these races, so the wrap included all these companies. We just build out their E for 'em, these companies aren't our sponsors!

As far as Adventure Racing, it grew out of triathalons & trail running into a full blown sport. The races are usually 24 hours or more, and with teams of 2 to 4 people using a variety of skills - running, orienteering, biking, paddling, and some mountaineering on occasion, but always back to back, with the use of sleep in a race part of the strategy!

I'll get some photos of the inside of an Ecamper up, this particular Element is not in our hands any more until the LA Auto Show!

cheers

#21 ·
No buyer's remorse here for my '07, but had I known about this conversion I would have seriously looked at older Elements and justify the difference in price with this conversion factored in, but I'm also in the east coast though. Logistically, what is involved in getting a conversion for those on the other coast? I see you can ship the kit, but who does the install?

Nice work!

#17 ·
POp Top Element

I have not been active on the EOC but I have been lurking deep in the deep dark shadows of the EOC forum.

The POP TOP E CAMPER CONVERSION HAS ME THINKING!!!!

Having been a VW Westfalia owner I have often looked over my Element with the thought of making it into a "Westfalia Element". I knew it was only a matter of time until this came along.The sunroof in the rear is perfect for entry!

The price of over 4,000 make me pause... ouch quite costly. I need to do some research on this idea to do one for myself.

Best regards,
HUTMO

#18 ·
I have not been active on the EOC but I have been lurking deep in the deep dark shadows of the EOC forum.

The POP TOP E CAMPER CONVERSION HAS ME THINKING!!!!

Having been a VW Westfalia owner I have often looked over my Element with the thought of making it into a "Westfalia Element". I knew it was only a matter of time until this came along.The sunroof in the rear is perfect for entry!

The price of over 4,000 make me pause... ouch quite costly. I need to do some research on this idea to do one for myself.

Best regards,
HUTMO
You need to see how well this top is built. NOT fiberglass but lightweight carbon-fiber shell with rechargeable German built gas struts just as we use them at Boeing for our aircraft C-17 assembly jigs. The fit is OEM worthy and keep in mind the periphery where the shell approaches the car has to be completely reconstructed. While I will agree that $4K is a substantial number one will get a durable and transferable product built with care and pride by world class craftsmen consisting of high grade materials. Come to think of it, $4K doesn't seem that bad anymore, especially when you see what other peoples may have done with $4K on their Es. :)
....hmmm, no, I have no connection to the builders, BUT I have seen their own rig on two occasions...

#20 ·
I agree 4k doesn't seem like much compared to how much I've spend on my E. Plus you have the camping abilities w/o having to tow anything behind.

Lightweight, ease of use, etc. etc. Lots of benefits with this set-up.

#26 ·
Ursa, I will be at the LA Auto Show this Saturday. Will look for you and visit your booth.

JSm00th

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.