Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gas cap light has gone on and off several times in the last few months .I have checked the cap and it was tight each time, I always make sure it clicks at least 3 times when I put it back on. I always stop pumping gas when pump stops automatically. I never overfill.
Yesterday the gas cap light was on and then it went out and at the same time the check engine light came on. My gas mileage it consistant as it has been for almost 4 years...20 around town and 25 on the highway....no change in performance, no funny sounds.....I'm thinking it is the evaporative emission system is the trouble...what do you think?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Find out that the code is and you might have to replace the fuel cap. Be careful as some aftermarhet caps will also throw a code.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Just to update: the gas cap in question is an aftermarket "stant locking gas cap" and the gas cap light went off and the check engine light came on. Just for the heck of it I added a can of seafoam and in less than 120 miles BOTH lights are out. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Still check the codes as they will sstay stored in the system even when the light went off. If you have to do smogs like out here it will pop up when they check out the car.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smogs

Yeah we do Bi Annual emission testing, I'm due next summer I believe.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hello chem, Gen X Dad just helped with my situation like yours. It turned out, the Stant cap was no longer sealing tightly as needed----replaced it with a stock and everything is A.O.K. now.;-)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks...Ill put my stock cap back on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts